• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Intitled to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twotimesafool

:eek: undefinedundefinedWhat is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband tried to kill me two years ago and we have not lived together sense we are still Married though and no legal separation was obtained!
I have found out that he was in a car accident and is getting a nice settlement! Am I entitled to that in our divorce? :confused:

thank you
twotimesafool

BelizeBreeze

Well, since you are not divorced and not in the process of divorce, and since it's been two years since you claim he tried to kill you, how do you think a judge is going to view your filing NOW for divorce?

And what are you going to do if he takes all the money and spends it, gives it away or hides it?

The quick and easy answer is yes, but the reality is that you won't ever see the money.

nextwife

Do be aware that any remaining medical and therapy bills and also all the attorney fees, come out before he gets anything.

I do not understand what you are saying, “my husband tried to kill me.” then you want to re-engage him to get some token money. I would tell you this, I would have an OOP on him and get a divorce and never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever worry about a damm thing he did including getting a little extra money for a car accident. I love myself that much, but that is just me.

nextwife

I would have retained an attorney and filed for divorce within a week, and tried to never have anything to do with him again.

O

oreilly72

Well, in Illinois those kinds of settlements, inheritances, gifts... all are considered non-marital property. So no.

I'm sorry for you that you have been through so much with this guy, but I hope for you that it's enough to be done with him... Punishment for people who hurt us seems so fair and fitting sometimes. But please try to put aside becoming re-entwined with someone who is poison to you - thinking you can make him pay (literally) for what he did. Some people are unable to get a message like we hope... these people generally turn our actions back on us ten times over, and refuse to believe they deserve what they're getting. Better to hand it over to God and let him deal with it. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, here's hoping you get free and stay safe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">