• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund for online services.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mr Wolf

I do not know which state the company is in. They are called Ilan games, and I procured their services through the web. They have servers in serveral states. I am living in U.K.

I rented a game server from ilan games at the start of the month.

They have different rates for private and public servers.

I requested a private server which is significantly cheaper.

They gave me a public one and charged me for it.

I asked them to change it, they told me they would and that they would credit my account for the difference.

They did neither.

Since then the server has been unusable due to instability and the fact that it is a public server. They did not attempt to fix it dispite several requests for them to do so.

I asked for a cancelation and a refund. They told me that the server will run until the end of its current rental period and then be canceled, and they still have not refunded me the extra charge.

I want a full refund and the server canceled completely, as they have not provided the service they said they would.

What are my rights regarding this?

Thanks.

M

Mr Wolf

Hi,

If no-one can help me with this, can someone please point me towards where I might be able to find out for myself.

I have no experience with law, and I dont know how to take action against a U.S. company, from the U.K.

Thanks.

M

meganproser

How did you pay for this? If you used a credit card, you can ask the credit card company to reverse the payment. How much money are we talking about here anyway?

M

Mr Wolf

Thanks.

If I reverse the payment am I legally in the right though?

Is the law on my side or theirs in this?

They have eventually made the server the way that I asked for, but it took them a week and a half to do so. During which I couldnt use the server. And they still owe me for an overpayment

I have tried multiple attempts to ask them when I am being refunded, but I get the impression they are ignoring me.

The amount is about $30, which isnt much, but it is the principle of the thing.

It is a game server for a clan of gamers which I run. Many of whom are in school and cant afford much.

I have got to the point where I feel like letting it go and forgeting about it.

But, that means they effectively stole money from me. And I cant just let that go.

Can the payment be reversed if they have already taken it from me?

Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

If I reverse the payment am I legally in the right though?
No.

Is the law on my side or theirs in this?
The law about what? This is a contract and anything that occurs is pursuant to the exact language of the contract.

They have eventually made the server the way that I asked for, but it took them a week and a half to do so. During which I couldnt use the server. And they still owe me for an overpayment
Depends on the wording of your contract.

I have tried multiple attempts to ask them when I am being refunded, but I get the impression they are ignoring me.
You're probably right.

The amount is about $30, which isnt much, but it is the principle of the thing.
And it's your perfect right to spend upwards of $1,000 to get your $30 back.

It is a game server for a clan of gamers which I run. Many of whom are in school and cant afford much.
And THEY own.

I have got to the point where I feel like letting it go and forgeting about it.
Good idea.

But, that means they effectively stole money from me. And I cant just let that go.
Maybe, maybe not. Read your contract to figure out the cancellation requirements.

Can the payment be reversed if they have already taken it from me?
Sure it can. The real question is can you face charges or civil penalties for doing so?

M

Mr Wolf

BelizeBreeze, thank you.

That was a very informative post.

I will have a look at the contract now.

Thanks again.

M

Mr Wolf

Hmm.

I just went to their site and went through several stages of their sign up procedure to access their Contract.

There is a link to it, with buttons below it that say yes or no.

But when you click on the link to the Terms of service agreement, it takes you to another page on the site that doesnt have the TOS there.

Is that legal?

Does that mean that I didnt sign a contract at all?

If so what does that mean?

Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

Your use of the service is the contract. The service no longer exists. You have a right to your refund. You DO NOT have a right to tell the company they should reinstate the service or what service you should get.

Contact another provider and this time ask for their cancellation requirement.

M

Mr Wolf

My point is, they dont have a contract.

The contract isnt there.

There is a button, to click to read it, and two buttons, yes and no, to click to agree with it.

I didnt try to read it when I signed up, but now when I went back to read it, I find out it isnt there.

Which means that I didnt sign a contract?

Does that mean that I can withhold payment, and they cant sue me?

And what happnens if they suddenly put a contract up?

Do I need someone to witness the fact that the contract isnt there?

Thanks again.

jbtone

Wow

I've talked with the owners (Bill and Jill) of Ilan Games many times and they have never seemed unreasonable to me. I realize that you are overseas but, have you talked to them on the phone?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">