• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malpractice or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

curtnbillie

What is the name of your state? Florida
This is a rather long story. My girl has many medical problems, and because of this she cannot work very steadily. This has a detremental effect on our finances, in other words, we are 'working poor', and although I come from a very solid family, we have a hard time of it. It is because of this, our only alternative to the high price of health care is to turn to a 'Clinic' which is partially funded by the United Way and other charities as well as government grants. This is the ONLY way we can afford a doctor for my sick gal.
She has a disorder that is rare, but treatable, brought on by her mother's use of drugs while she was in her womb. She has a brain disorder and psoriosis over 60 to 80 % of her body. Her doctor prescribed a medication that is multi-functional, that is, it helps many of her conditions at once. He has had to leave the 'Clinic' for family reasons and may not return. Since his departure, the 'Clinic' cannot keep a doctor on duty for the money they are paying. The only one left in charge is a nurse/practioner who is hostile to our plight (ie., no money) and has cut off her medication for an unspecified amount of time. She refuses to take calls or to talk about the matter at all to us. In the meantime, my girl is becoming deathly ill, and cannot eat without gastronomical distress. We talked to a speciallist and he said what she has done to her is reckless and could cause complications or even death!
What can we do to try and get this person to do right? Do we have a malpractice case?

C

curtnbillie

What is the name of your state? Florida
This is a rather long story. My girl has many medical problems, and because of this she cannot work very steadily. This has a detremental effect on our finances, in other words, we are 'working poor', and although I come from a very solid family, we have a hard time of it. It is because of this, our only alternative to the high price of health care is to turn to a 'Clinic' which is partially funded by the United Way and other charities as well as government grants. This is the ONLY way we can afford a doctor for my sick gal.
She has a disorder that is rare, but treatable, brought on by her mother's use of drugs while she was in her womb. She has a brain disorder and psoriosis over 60 to 80 % of her body. Her doctor prescribed a medication that is multi-functional, that is, it helps many of her conditions at once. He has had to leave the 'Clinic' for family reasons and may not return. Since his departure, the 'Clinic' cannot keep a doctor on duty for the money they are paying. The only one left in charge is a nurse/practioner who is hostile to our plight (ie., no money) and has cut off her medication for an unspecified amount of time. She refuses to take calls or to talk about the matter at all to us. In the meantime, my girl is becoming deathly ill, and cannot eat without gastronomical distress. We talked to a speciallist and he said what she has done to her is reckless and could cause complications or even death!
What can we do to try and get this person to do right? Do we have a malpractice case?[/QUOTE]

ellencee

curtnbillie
Your significant other can obtain healthcare at any hospital emergency room, if the hospital provides indigent care. Perhaps a discharge planner, case manager, or social worker at the hospital can assist in gaining continuing care and medications as necessary and, or SSI or Social Security disability benefits.

The clinic in question has a medical director or a physician over the nurse practitioner; that is the person to whom you need to report any problem with the nurse practitioner.

It is unlikely that any medmal claim exists as your significant other has not suffered any significant damage.

Unless you are using a public internet access and computer, as in a public library, it is noteworthy that you have a computer and internet access but do not have the money to pay for the medication necessary since the medication is about the same price as a monthly internet access service. Got cable TV or satellite TV? If so, you need to decide which is more important, medications or entertainment.

EC

C

curtnbillie

Not as dumb as you look!

To assume that medications (such as AZT) cost only as much as an internet service, is asummably ridiculous. As I stated before, my girl is VERY ILL, with NO HELP from Social Security for the past three to four years, every over-the-counter homeopathic remedy or help we could use would cost us over $100 a week, not to mention the cost of prescriptions. I expect as much advice from a semi-trained individual as yourself, it is precisely that type of stupidity we are having to deal with. I could get better advice from my next door neighbor, without the childish insinuations as to our finacial practices.

ellencee

Then, by all means, have your next door neighbor tell you about discount medication programs and the availability of medical care for those who can not afford it; I expect your neighbor will know, it is whether or not you can/will comprehend/accept the information.
EC

BlondiePB

curtnbillie,
Counties in FL have Health Care District programs. Have you checked into this? Benefits vary from county to county and can include both medical and prescription benefits. The income level "cut off" is more than the level for Medicaid. Also, only the person who is applying for assistance income and expenditures are viewed for eligibility. It is not necessary for your income to be reported in order for your girlfriend to be eligible. Look for either: "name of your county" Health Care District or Health Care District of "name of your county."

Also, check the websites of manufacturers of the prescriptions. Many of these companies offer free or very low cost ($5.00 per prescription) for those who have low incomes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">