• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment after 2 months of marriage: Does she get anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magnus0201

What is the name of your state? GA.

I also posted this in the immigration section but I wanted to post it here also to get a wider opinion. Here is the pathetic story.

My wife is here on a K-1 Visa. We have been married for two months. She is becoming increasingly beligerant and now says she wants to go home. That is fine with me because I'm tired of the constant complaining. She really has forgotten what her life was like there.

My question is..... what kind of settlement am I looking at considering these facts:

-I've been unemployed for 6 months, the entire time she has been in the USA. Neither of us have worked during our marriage.

-We do not own property and are currently living with a family member.

-We do not have children.

-I've paid for everything in the immigration process.

-She has not worked since I met her in her country.

-The only asset I have is a 2000 model car that I had before her and which will be paid off in 2 months.

-Roughly $20K in stocks, all earned before I met her.

-Roughly $20K in my 401K, all earned before I met her.

I haven't made a dime of money since we were married, other than my weekly unemployment checks which she chews up portions of by calling back home, among other things. I'm willing to pay for her a ticket back home, but other than that, she doesn't deserve anything else based on the money I have laid out to support her, and the money I spent with Homeland Security.

It really is nothing more than her not being about to adjust to life here and not having any friends. I took advantage of the full 3 month grace period on her visa before we got married, because I wanted to be sure and for her to stay legal. However, the 3 month grace period is unrealistic for someone to really adjust. 6 months would have been a better time frame and would have avoided this scenario.

Anyway, what do you think? Is she entitled to anything I had before we met after 2 or 3 months of marriage?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Tell her to hit the bricks, and quit using those online Russian Brides for Bucks sites.

Divorce her ass and send her packing. She'll get nothing unless you have not been truthful on this post.

I will leave this one alone in regards to who's fault this is. However, what you do have here is a situation inwhich you both do not want to get married and she wants to head back home. I would get this immediately annulled and gracefully pay for her airtrip back to ..... and some extra cash just incase there is a layover or something.
By getting this thing annulled you limit the possibility of her securing anything from you. I would encourage the both of you to get this done as fast as possible. Also, and it is up to you, if she is ready to go home now, I ponder the idea of letting her go and getting a default divorce on abandonment.

BelizeBreeze

Annullment is not possible in this situation. Remember, annullment is an option ONLY for those who have not consumated the relationship, under fraud or one party not possessing the right to marry.

None of those conditions exist according to the facts of the post.

BelizeBreeze said:
Annullment is not possible in this situation. Remember, annullment is an option ONLY for those who have not consumated the relationship, under fraud or one party not possessing the right to marry.

None of those conditions exist according to the facts of the post.
I yield to your answer, however, I was pondering, if this relationship really was complete. It appeared to be a relationship of conviencence than anything else. She comes from '???' and he wanting an obediant Euro or Asain type women, almost a servant type that might work as well. Anyway I was just thinking that the fruit or elements were never established to call this truly a marriage. However, I think your answer moves much better than my explanation.

BelizeBreeze

Whether or not this is a marriage of 'convenience' is a matter for the INS. The legal requirements for a valid marriage have been met. Therefore, a divorce needs to be completed.

There won't be INS issues if he withdraws his support and she leaves the country.

magnus0201

I did not meet her online. I met her on a trip to Brazil, and there is nothing subserviant about her. If you have ever known a Latina, you know what I am talking about. She's just a hothead and bored and misses home, so she can go back to the slums if that is what she wants.

I never considered trying to get it annulled. A divorce is fine with me. I have no religious contraints. My main question was whether she was entitled to anything I had before we married and the answer appears to be NO, which is what I thought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">