• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce After 10 Years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lalori44

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island,
I am seeking a divorce after 10 yrs. of marriage, due to irreconcible differences, and financial ruin. My husband has a restaurant, and is the sole owner. He has kept me and my son with no savings account, no cd's, no life insurance, and nothing for our future, he has put us through two bankruptcy's, etc. We live in his mothers house, which when she dies, it will be left for him and his brother to share, which leaves my son and I no where. What are my rights as his wife, do I get anything? I want full custody of my son, am I entitled to 1 half of the restaurant, and it's earnings, etc, and what about 1 3rd of the house. Please advise!

Help! I'm Stuck!

Thanks!

LdiJ

lalori44 said:
What is the name of your state? Rhode Island,
I am seeking a divorce after 10 yrs. of marriage, due to irreconcible differences, and financial ruin. My husband has a restaurant, and is the sole owner. He has kept me and my son with no savings account, no cd's, no life insurance, and nothing for our future, he has put us through two bankruptcy's, etc. We live in his mothers house, which when she dies, it will be left for him and his brother to share, which leaves my son and I no where. What are my rights as his wife, do I get anything? I want full custody of my son, am I entitled to 1 half of the restaurant, and it's earnings, etc, and what about 1 3rd of the house. Please advise!

Help! I'm Stuck!

Thanks!
The house belongs to his mother and you would be entitled to nothing there.
You might be able to get 1/2 of his restaurant but if the restaurant is the cause of the two bankruptcies you might be better off NOT having any ownership interest in that.

Obviously his working hours are not conducive to him having primary custody of your child, but odds are he would get joint legal custody (joint decision making)

Realistically, you are probably going to walk out of the marriage without anything but child support, your personal possessions and your car (if you have one).

lalori44

Thanks for Info. Need more Info.

I have my own Car, and my own personal property. The bankruptcy's were personal bankruptcy's, they have nothing to do with the business. The business is in a DBA, so it can't be touched. Thats the way he made it, so he would be allowed to have his business. As far as his mother's house, the question was after she dies, would I be entitled to 1 3rd of it, if she leaves it to him and his brother in her will, (which she has a will that says that.)

Please Advise!

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">