• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination against Wal-Mart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teirlain

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a friend that is thinking of filing wrongful termination against wal-mart, and I wanted to post a message to see if anyone could help me talk him into/out of it. These are the circumstances as he explains it. He worked for Wal-Mart for around 2 years, not an exceptional employee, but not horrible either. He claims that he strained his back at work one day. He complained about it and his manager told him to take a day off to go to the doctor and have it checked out. The doctor told him that he had a strained back and prescribed my friend on two medications. My friend went back to work. There was no accident report filed, and there was no request for medical leave. My friend started taking his medication as prescribed and attempted to continue working. At work he began feeling sick and reported to his manager that he thought his medicine was making him feel bad. Later, (either that day or the next) he felt sick and stepped out the back of the store. He claims that he passed out and awoke some time later, approximately 30-45 minutes. During that time, one of the store assistant managers saw him. The assistant manager told him to go home and not to worry about it. It was a friday. The weekend passed and my friend reported to work on monday. They called him into the office and and fired him. The reason was for sleeping on the job. I don't think he should file, but I don't know. Please tell me how right-to-work affects this, and whether or not you think he has any kind of chance to make this work for him. I know he feels wronged, but I don't want to see him waste his money if there's no chance for him. Thanks.

T

Teirlain

I forgot to ask, but if someone could please tell me of any statute of limitations on stuff like this.

Beth3

I agree - your friend has no wrongful termination claim to bring. But if he's determined to try to do this, then he'll need to see an attorney and I'm sure the attorney will explain to him (a) he has no case and (b) how much money it's going to cost your friend in legal fees to even TRY to pursue something they might attempt to make out of nothing. The latter in particular I'm sure will make your friend abandon his idea.

As to any SOL, there's nothing to tell you because no law has been violated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">