• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preparing for Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lapin

What is the name of your state?Texas
Ok, I'm getting ready to file for divorce, but I know my soon to be ex-wife will fight me for custody of our daughter, who is only 3 years old.
Here's my question. She is an illegal immigrant, she entered the US legally, but overstayed her VISA, and she uses someone else's SSN to work, things like that.
I did not know she was an illegal immigrant until we found out she was pregnant, as soon as we found out, we went to to courthouse and filed for the commonlaw marriage so I could add her and the baby to my health insurance.
What are my possibilities if any that I can get full custody of my daughter?
I know she will not dispute the divorce, but I am afraid of her getting custody of my daughter and the possibility of taking her out of the country, things like that.
Thanks in advance!

Amazing, just amazing. You had no problems when you were in that stuff and now that you do not want it anymore you want to take all of her (the wife) vulnerabilities and use them against her to fight for a child and alienate the kid from her mom. Even sounds like you would not have a problem getting her kicked right back over on the otherside of the boarder either, nice.
Just because your wife used fraud in your presence does not exclude her or you from have legal rights to her/your child in common. Just because she came from Mexico(or out of America) does it give you any more rights, moreso, now that you are married to her.
I just think this is sad, and really do not want to expond on this other than to say that I hope you work it out in the best interest of your daughter instead of looking out on how to bend the x over. How about being the better person and coming to her with a solution which would work and be fair for the both of you.
I would throw one word of caution, I would hate for her to realize what you are doing and run deep in Mexico... who knows how their legal system works.

L

lapin

First of all I am not looking to bend my soon to be ex over or anything along those lines, I am merely seeking the best interest of my daughter. Maybe I should give also some more background so I am not judged so quickly.
My soon to be ex-wife now also believes that she can cast out demons, she feels the demons physically hurting her, etc, etc........That's a pretty basic run down of a lot things along those lines that take place in my home now. Which did not take place at all up until about 3 months ago!
Aside from the marital problems, I believe there's a potential for future harm towards my daughter if she is exposed to such nonsense. Ever heard of Andrea Yates??
For the most part she is a fit mother, but as time progresses she chooses her church more and more over her family activities, also her responsibilities with our child. So what am I supposed to do in the best interest for my child, just sit and maybe wait for the day that Jesus talks to my wife and tells her that her child is demonic and needs to be delivered to God??? I don't think so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">