• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after a year because of felony background that happened over 10 years ago?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Golddoor

What is the name of your state?Texas

I had been an employee of Pro Staff Staffing company and was on assignment to Morgan Stanley for 14 months. 2 weeks ago Morgan Stanley told all employees that they had to have finger prints taken for background checks. I gave mine feeling not a need to worry since my felonys were over 10 years ago. Well what do you know I get a call from Pro Staff and they said Morgan Stanley needed to end my assignment and would not give a reason why? That had to be why because I had just been given a raise and was told on the day of my dismissal that I was doing an excellent job and to keep up the good work. What now? Can I do any thing or am I just screwed?

Beth3

A financial institution is far more likely not to hire or fire someone with a criminal background than are employers in other industries and for obvious reasons. Sorry but I see no recourse for you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Somehow or other a great many people have gotten it into their heads that felonies over 10 years old for some reason "don't count". So when they see a question on a job application that says, have you EVER been convicted of a felony, they translate that to mean, have you been convicted of a felony within the last ten years and they answer the question, no.

If, as I strongly suspect, this is what you did, then you are not being fired because of the felony, but because you lied about it. EVER means EVER. If they only want ten years, they'll say ten years. It doesn't fall off your record with age.

If I'm misinterpreting the situation, you have my apologies in advance. But no, you have no recourse. Either way.

G

Golddoor

cbg said:
Somehow or other a great many people have gotten it into their heads that felonies over 10 years old for some reason "don't count". So when they see a question on a job application that says, have you EVER been convicted of a felony, they translate that to mean, have you been convicted of a felony within the last ten years and they answer the question, no.

If, as I strongly suspect, this is what you did, then you are not being fired because of the felony, but because you lied about it. EVER means EVER. If they only want ten years, they'll say ten years. It doesn't fall off your record with age.

If I'm misinterpreting the situation, you have my apologies in advance. But no, you have no recourse. Either way.
Nope not here. I told everything to the staffing company when I applied. Also included it on my application. Also like I said, they had just after I had been there a year asked all employees to get fingerprints for a background check. I wasnt the only one either. And it was actually 14 years ago that I got charged with the felony. It was dismissed after completing defereed ajutication.AND THAT BS THAT THEY SHOULD GO BACK AFTER 10 YEARS.

Thanks Though for trying!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">