• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

for those familiar with CA marijuana laws only please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

metaldetector

What is the name of your state? NY but charged in CA

I am a male in my late twenties. First time conviction.

Traveling from San Diego back to NY where I live I was apprehended at the metal detector for having a pipe in my carry-on baggage (complete dumbass, I know). In the end, the cops wrote me a citation for H&S 11357(b) (possession of less than 28.5 grams of marijuana) and sent me on my way after telling me to call the court in a few weeks to ascertain the date of appearance. One cop also said however that considering that I live far away sometimes the defendant doesn't have to appear and they can take care of this over the phone, but he couldn't promise anything of course.

Anyone have any experience with this? I signed the citation which basically states that I promise to appear in court. I understand what the fine and penalties are from this and other websites and am prepared (I think) to plead guilty and pay the $100. I live in NY and had no plans to go to CA again anytime soon. Considering the evidence against me (the tiny amount of weed and the pipe), is it worth it or necessary to travel to appear? What will be the implications for me in the long run? (knowing that after 2 years this conviction will be expunged)

Thanks for anyone's help. This is forum is very helpful.

CdwJava

This is a fine only offense. The fine of $100 will also almost certainly have additional fees and courts costs tacked on. The total you may have to pay could be between $350-$450 after all is said and done.

Do not FTA. Call the court and find out how to resolve the matter long distance and do it soon. It CAN be resolved long distance by paying it off. Make sure you keep a copy of any and all correspondence, the citation, etc. until your dying days ... just to be safe.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">