• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy with utility companies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlk1978

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Is it legal for an energy company to give out information to a LL without consent from me? I moved into my new house and was having problems getting the gas turned on. Apparently the old renter had an outstanding balance. When I tried to turn it on they were telling me that I had to pay for the other guys bill before I can turn it on (they thought I was turning it on for him, so he didn't have to pay his bill). Anyway, I told the landlord to call them and let them know that the "other guy" moved out and that they shouldn't be holding me responsible for his bill. Anyway, she did and when she called the lady was telling her about my account history (including a shut off that happened a year and a half ago). I never authorized them to give her information, she was only supposed to tell them that the other guy wasn't living there. I asked the LL why they told her all that stuff, and she didn't know. I guess the lady just started rambling off. To me, this seems like a violation of my personal information. Does anyone know if it is legal to give a LL information about my account past or present?

Thanks

djohnson

I'm in a different state but can tell you here it depends on the utility. Any public utiltiy (municipal) is public information, most have guidelines that someone has to fill out to get the information, but some don't. It's like going to the court house and getting someone's criminal record. If it's private it is a different story. I imagine though yours is public. What they thought was happening is called rotation of service and happens a lot. They have to verify, it can lead to other criminal/civil litigation. A lease showing the date you moved in usually works. If you were living there under the other persons name or your lease was back dated is when a problem would arise.

patricia1

I work for a telephone company. An what happens in our company is the you have an option of bring or faxing your new rental agreement. If you are not a new tenant you will not be able to turn service on without a deposit. When you gave the information of your landlord to the rep though not ethical you gave the LL access to discuss your account. The company has a right to ask for proof by a new lease agreement or have the LL verification. A utility can not force you to provide a SSN but can ask for something like a valid picture ID. The pass history of your rental unit is something that might be flagged. And if you have no previous service you are moving from or have had an the pass a deposit might be required but it is always returned within 6 to 12 months of on time payments. No privacy laws are being broken. If you ask for a supervisor you may be able to setup new service with a deposit but technically your roommate can be sued in small claims court if you are required to pay her old bill but you are not really consider a new tenant since the service was already on. ;)

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mlk1978 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Is it legal for an energy company to give out information to a LL without consent from me? I moved into my new house and was having problems getting the gas turned on. Apparently the old renter had an outstanding balance. When I tried to turn it on they were telling me that I had to pay for the other guys bill before I can turn it on (they thought I was turning it on for him, so he didn't have to pay his bill). Anyway, I told the landlord to call them and let them know that the "other guy" moved out and that they shouldn't be holding me responsible for his bill. Anyway, she did and when she called the lady was telling her about my account history (including a shut off that happened a year and a half ago). I never authorized them to give her information, she was only supposed to tell them that the other guy wasn't living there. I asked the LL why they told her all that stuff, and she didn't know. I guess the lady just started rambling off. To me, this seems like a violation of my personal information. Does anyone know if it is legal to give a LL information about my account past or present?

Thanks

My response:

So, basically you're complaining about the deadbeat renter before you, but you don't want your landlord to know that you're a deadbeat too?

What goes around, comes around, baby!

Pay your frigging bills sometime, and things like this won't happen to you!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">