• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fell while ice skating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joyous123

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hi, I fell while ice skating at a university rink and have a broken arm. I have looked all over their site for some disclaimer and can find nothing that says "we are not responsible for injuries," nor is their anything on the pass I bought to use the rink that day. There may be a sign at the rink, I have not been back since then so I don't know.

I don't have health insurance, so is there any way I can recover the medical costs from the rink? It seems like ice skating is a dangerous sport and rinks would try to exclude themselves from liability but I can't find out any info. Thanks

BelizeBreeze

Did the attendant kidnap you and take you to the rink?

Did the attendant strap you down and force the skates on your feet?

Did the attendant then push you out onto the ice?

Did you then fall and break your arm?

If you can answer no to ANY of the questions, it's time to pony up with the responsibility.

nextwife

You only got a broken arm? The guy I was with got a concussion!

When one puts on a a shoe with a thin little blade and goes sliding across a surface one EXPECTS to be very slippery, one really takes one's chances.

Last edited:

stevek3

joyous123 said:

Hi, I fell while ice skating at a university rink and have a broken arm. I have looked all over their site for some disclaimer and can find nothing that says "we are not responsible for injuries," nor is their anything on the pass I bought to use the rink that day. There may be a sign at the rink, I have not been back since then so I don't know.

I don't have health insurance, so is there any way I can recover the medical costs from the rink? It seems like ice skating is a dangerous sport and rinks would try to exclude themselves from liability but I can't find out any info. Thanks
This year, Sammy Sosa was actually placed on the disabled list after that steroid-pumped knucklehead hurt his back while sneezing. Sammy should sue those nasty Kleenex people. They *obviously* failed to inform Sammy of the potential risks. "WARNING: YOU MAY SUFFER A BACK STRAIN WHILE USING THIS TISSUE. "

stevek3 said:
This year, Sammy Sosa was actually placed on the disabled list after that steroid-pumped knucklehead hurt his back while sneezing. Sammy should sue those nasty Kleenex people. They *obviously* failed to inform Sammy of the potential risks. "WARNING: YOU MAY SUFFER A BACK STRAIN WHILE USING THIS TISSUE. "
LMAO :D stevek3

To the OP......why do you feel the skating rink is responsible for your injury???:confused: Im sorry to hear that you have injured yourself but from your own details I don't see how the skating rink has liability in this. :eek:

Seriously you're going to have to do better than "it seems like ice skating is a dangerous sport and rinks would try to exclude themselves from liability":rolleyes:

nextwife

Hmmm. Maybe every tree needs a sign on it that falling out of it might cause injury, because otherwise how could we expect a person who climbs into it and then falls to be aware that could get hurt?

BelizeBreeze

Actually, I almost asked the same question as HG did for a very valid reason. I just know, however, that it's going to turn into one of 'THOSE' threads and was playing 'duck and cover'.

stevek3

HomeGuru said:
joyous123 said:

Hi, I fell while ice skating at a university rink and have a broken arm.

**A: what caused your fall?
Perhaps it was caused by a really bored goon who plays for the Boston Bruins. With the NHL lockout now going on, they have nobody else to beat up.

joyous123

thanks for the useful help

Yes very funny I'm glad you're all having fun with this. But there's no need to get snippy. The very point of saying "It seems like ice skating is a dangerous sport and rinks would try to exclude themselves from liability" is that it seems logical that a rink would not be responsible just by existing, therefore, I'm asking, what are the exact rules, i.e. is that alone enough or do they have to post a sign or what, and how do I find this out.

But since I wrote the post I have talked to legal aid and found out about a part of most insurance policies called "med pay" which covers medical expenses due to injuries incurred on one's property, regardless of legal liability, so I can file a claim under that, which is all I needed to know.

Thanks though for the hilarious sarcasm.

stevek3

joyous123 said:
Yes very funny I'm glad you're all having fun with this. But there's no need to get snippy. The very point of saying "It seems like ice skating is a dangerous sport and rinks would try to exclude themselves from liability" is that it seems logical that a rink would not be responsible just by existing, therefore, I'm asking, what are the exact rules, i.e. is that alone enough or do they have to post a sign or what, and how do I find this out.

But since I wrote the post I have talked to legal aid and found out about a part of most insurance policies called "med pay" which covers medical expenses due to injuries incurred on one's property, regardless of legal liability, so I can file a claim under that, which is all I needed to know.

Never fear. You still may have grounds to sue after you fill out those insurance forms. They fail to inform of the potential risks of completing the forms without wearing safety goggles. "WARNING: YOUR CAT MAY JUMP ON YOUR DESK AND CAUSE THIS FORM TO SHOOT UP IN THE AIR AND HIT YOU IN THE EYE."

katyusha

stevek3 said:
Never fear. You still may have grounds to sue after you fill out those insurance forms. They fail to inform of the potential risks of completing the forms without wearing safety goggles. "WARNING: YOUR CAT MAY JUMP ON YOUR DESK AND CAUSE THIS FORM TO SHOOT UP IN THE AIR AND HIT YOU IN THE EYE."
It is shame you are not a lawyer, otherwise you could make some money of it :)

J

jules91767

joyous123 said:

I figure if you were accidentally hurt b/c of the facility's negligence to keep the place safe, then you have a case. i.e. water spot on the grocery floor w/no caution sign and you slip and hurt yourself. But it's just like if you put on a football helmet and play, you're bound to get hurt and can't go sueing the guy who was supposed to run into.

enlightzen

good luck on the med pay!

You will never get that med pay! I had an accident that was completley negligent on the other parties part, they know it and have admitted to it, but my friend thier insurance co. will give you the run around for years!! Get ready to fight and argue, because insurance people are trained to screw you as hard as they can. They will not pay! If they do it will take years! And thier med pay may be a whole $3,000. By that time you will be turned into collections and you will owe way more dough. On the other hand I had insurance so my insurance has covered most of the damage, but I will never be able to get another policy due to the cost of this accident about 90,000 so far. Good luck hope you have patience!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">