• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Divorce Procedure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paragon321

What is the name of your state? CA

A couple of similar questions didn't get a response, and the online guides do not talk about such things specifically. So here it goes...

To initiate the divorce, Form FL-100 must be filed. I think that is true in every regular divorce. In my case, we are in agreement on the terms of the settlement, and want to proceed as quickly as possible. We do not have children, so we think it should be a slam dunk. But, what is the process?

1. Can we file the FL-100 with the Marriage Settlement Agreement attached? If not, is it necessary to itemize all of our assets on that form?

2. What is the purpose of Form FL-170, and when should it be filed?

3. Do we need to complete those asset disclosure forms, since the Marriage Settlement Agreement will cover all assets? What if the Agreement contains a waiver on such disclosures?

4. What if any problems may occur if we division is inequitable? Can the judge refuse to accept the agreement, or can my wife later refuse to accept its terms?

Thank you for your help!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">