• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors & Boundaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Onelillaker

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire. Okey, I'm a fool but a few yrs. ago, I did give my neighbor permission to put his fence up on my property. Today that is not the problem. This past summer he asked if he could clear a small portion of the back of my little acre to run his lawn mower through to get to his fence. Okey, sure. By the end of summer he had cleared the boundry of my entire back yard. I told him enough already. He took down trees, flowers, brush, everything. All while I was at work. I called their home and told him to stay off of my property. Three good size trees have been cut down this past week. Granted they are dead trees, but I could use them in my wood stove for heat this winter. My trees are at his house being cut up for his winter fuel. I am so perplexed by this behavior. Can I demand that he take down that fence altho I gave permission to put it up. Also, he owns eleven acres and I own just less than one acre. What could be his motive?? Help, please.

O

Onelillaker

Oh, no evidence. Just a good neighbor agreement approximately four yrs. ago. At the time, my subconscience was telling me that this type of permission creates horror stories. Did I mention that on the other side of me is just wooded land owned by another party. He cleared some of that, too. Would No Trespassing signs help to keep him off. Would he have to abide by them even though his fence is on my property, hence the reason for my wanting him to take his fence down. If he would stay on his side of the fence, I could live with that, but he has crossed the line and I feel violated. Keep in mind that I only have less than an acre and he has eleven.

Since no one else has chimed in I'll give my two cents worth=and that is exactly what it is worth not a cent more= get some advice from other's here or an attorney
That said= If you gave him permission you can take that permission back. In reality you are better off having given him permission than if he had put the fence in without your permission in a process called "adverse posession" If he had not had permission and the fence had existed for a prescribed time(some states are different in the number of years) he could claim that part of your land. The number of years will be more than four. In Alaska, it is 10 years unless there is what is called "color of title' which loosely means he would have to show a reason where he thought it was his property.
Advice- Get some of the senior members here to give you some advice-short of that, make sure that the permission you gave this guy is in writing. Make him sign something that proves he knows he has your permission. Or if you can prove that the fence has not been there more than 4 years Let him know that he is not welcome put up some no trespassing signs but remember if he continues to ignore your signs it will just make your case worse. Ask your local police what they need to enforce a notice of trespass. If they give you a firm answer that they will enforce a notice of trespass-give your nieghbor a letter letting him know you would like him to either remove the fence of stay off your property. You will probably have to place the no trespassing signs before the police will contact your neighbor.
Remember I am only giving you some advice because I know how frustrating it can be waiting for someone here to reply. Be patient -you will eventually get someone that knows more than I. Don't get angry and don't let emotions get in the way- Is there anyway you can just talk to your nieghbor and get him to honor your wishes?
I've heard good fences make good nieghbors.
Let us know how things work out and others reading this post please help this poster out.

HomeGuru

Onelillaker said:
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire. Okey, I'm a fool but a few yrs. ago, I did give my neighbor permission to put his fence up on my property. Today that is not the problem. This past summer he asked if he could clear a small portion of the back of my little acre to run his lawn mower through to get to his fence. Okey, sure. By the end of summer he had cleared the boundry of my entire back yard. I told him enough already. He took down trees, flowers, brush, everything. All while I was at work. I called their home and told him to stay off of my property. Three good size trees have been cut down this past week. Granted they are dead trees, but I could use them in my wood stove for heat this winter. My trees are at his house being cut up for his winter fuel. I am so perplexed by this behavior. Can I demand that he take down that fence altho I gave permission to put it up. Also, he owns eleven acres and I own just less than one acre. What could be his motive?? Help, please.

**A: if a recent survey shows the property boundary then send this neighbor a certified letter to move the fence. Why did you not call the police and report trespassing and destruction of your property.

Last edited:
O

Onelillaker

HomeGuru said:
**A: if a recent survey shows the property noundary then send this neighbor a certified letter to move the fence. Why did you not call the police and report trespassing and destruction of your property.
Good question, why did I not call the police? I'm a total optimist (stupid, really)I'm always hoping that in the morning everything will be okey. However, I've received some great support here and will get the ball rolling. Will keep you posted.....thanks.

HomeGuru

Onelillaker said:
Good question, why did I not call the police? I'm a total optimist (stupid, really)I'm always hoping that in the morning everything will be okey. However, I've received some great support here and will get the ball rolling. Will keep you posted.....thanks.

**A: okey dokey.

Sledge1

Your neighbor sounds just like mine only we live in town. Neighbor cut down 3 trees that were 3 feet inside my property line while I was at work one day. A few weeks later we went on a 3 day trip out of town and came home to a 6 foot privacy fence butted up against the side of our house extending all the way to the ally (about 120 feet long, this fence was also a used fence that they put up, it was roughly 10 yrs old).

ENASNI

oh sledge

Um buddy..

This was over 4 months ago... take a look at the dates before you respond to threads.

This guys house has been bulldozed by his neighbor by now... his computer is roadkill... he couldn't have posted back if he wanted...

sorry about your neighbors.
ok got the message about resurrecting old threads ?

We are not even close to Easter yet.

ms.magoo

Neighbours & Boundaries

I have to agree with the other posters on your question. Send the dude a certified registered letter stating to remove his fence off of your property. Give him say 30 days to do that job an state in the letter that if he doesn't remove the fence that you will take action an take the offending fence down yourself and charge him for your labour. Wake up, smell the roses an get down to business with this neighbour. No more Mr. Optimistic, stand up and take charge on this situation. The longer you let this neighbour override you an your property will just mean more stress for you in the long run. Oh an by the way, allowing this neighbour to take YOUR firewood is yet another thing. If the guy gets nasty, take some pictures of that wood on his property an the tree's he cut down an there you have evidence of his trespassing an also theft of your property. ;) Good luck !

ms.magoo

Neighbours & Boundaries

Hey there HomeGuru, this is a Oil of Olay question, how old do you think I am ? I'm a mother of three, married since 87, so now can you figure it out ? Lol. Take a guess. :D

HomeGuru

ms.magoo said:
Hey there HomeGuru, this is a Oil of Olay question, how old do you think I am ? I'm a mother of three, married since 87, so now can you figure it out ? Lol. Take a guess. :D

**A: ok, I guess 37.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">