• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dr. Appt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SKCMT

What is the name of your state? Texas

I had been having chest pains and was under the care of a cardiologist. My doctor's office called me and asked that I come in for some more tests as the chest pains persisted. My employer asked if I could reschedule the appt. to a later date (a week later) because of the workload. I didn't know what else to do, so I rescheduled but ended up in the hospital. Can an employer do that legally? Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it's legal. Contrary to popular and persistant belief, an employer is not required under the law to run their business according to the doctors of their employees. (I don't mean that as harshly as it probably came out.)

IF you had already applied for FMLA for this condition, and been approved for it on an intermittant basis, THEN it would have been questionable at best for the employer to ask you to move your doctor's appointment. However, barring protection from FMLA or state equivalent, an employer is not legally obligated to allow you time off for doctor's appointments at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">