• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condo association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robinzark

What is the name of your state? pa - i live in a condo. we pay a fee each month for maintenance of the exteriors of or units. we have an association that meets each month. at the last meeting they voted to charge each nit owner $100.00 extra to seal the driveways. they had only the people present at the meeting vote. i was not present at the meeting and was not aware they were voting on this. i do not want to pay the fee. do they have the legal right to charge me?

HomeGuru

robinzark said:
What is the name of your state? pa - i live in a condo. we pay a fee each month for maintenance of the exteriors of or units. we have an association that meets each month. at the last meeting they voted to charge each nit owner $100.00 extra to seal the driveways. they had only the people present at the meeting vote. i was not present at the meeting and was not aware they were voting on this. i do not want to pay the fee. do they have the legal right to charge me?

**A: I am pretty sure that they do based on the CC&R's which you should have a copy of and should thoroughly read at your next earliest opportunity.
By the way, your monthly fee should not only be for maintenance but a portion of that money shoule be going into a reserve account to pay for repair and replacement of common area components. The $100 charge means that the HOA deos not have adequate reserves in their account. Review the HOA reserve study or a summary. Get more involved, attend each and every meeting and run for a board position in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">