• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in NYC. Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

romanm55

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY
I got pulled over yesterday by unmarked police car at 8:30pm. Cop gave me a ticket Sec 1212 "Reckless Driving (Burning Rubber)". I was driving a little bit actively, and I know they followed me (there were 3 of them in car) for like four traffic lights. During which time I stepped on it several times, so the tires turned loose and chrisped like for 2 seconds, including the time when I made a left turn.
My questions are: Do I need to worry about the jail time and any points? Does the cop have to be present at criminal court for the process to start? Otherwise, I could just say that I was in a hurry and accelerated a little bit too hard, but I WAS NOT speeding. I'm 20, do my parents have to come with me? Do I need to hire a lawer?
I got a speeding ticket six months ago (90 in a 50 mile zone), which got me 8 pts, at this moment I'm 20 years old, my hearing is in January, seven days before I'll turn 21. I know reckless driving is 5 pts, but when I asked him what the judge can rule out for me, he said I won't get any pts and will only pay a fine and didn't mention jail time. At the end he said strange phrase "If you'll be a good boy, you'll get off easy". Thanks.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

romanm55 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY
I got pulled over yesterday by unmarked police car at 8:30pm. Cop gave me a ticket Sec 1212 "Reckless Driving (Burning Rubber)". I was driving a little bit actively, and I know they followed me (there were 3 of them in car) for like four traffic lights. During which time I stepped on it several times, so the tires turned loose and chrisped like for 2 seconds, including the time when I made a left turn.
My questions are: Do I need to worry about the jail time and any points? Does the cop have to be present at criminal court for the process to start? Otherwise, I could just say that I was in a hurry and accelerated a little bit too hard, but I WAS NOT speeding. I'm 20, do my parents have to come with me? Do I need to hire a lawer?
I got a speeding ticket six months ago (90 in a 50 mile zone), which got me 8 pts, at this moment I'm 20 years old, my hearing is in January, seven days before I'll turn 21. I know reckless driving is 5 pts, but when I asked him what the judge can rule out for me, he said I won't get any pts and will only pay a fine and didn't mention jail time. At the end he said strange phrase "If you'll be a good boy, you'll get off easy". Thanks.
1. No jail time. (Law says you can get it, reality is that there are no burnout-ers in Rikers). Points are a lock if you're found guilty.

2. Cop does need to be present to be convicted.

3. Parents do not need to come with you.

4. A local traffic lawyer would be an excellent idea, considering your license will be suspended with your prior points if you're convicted of 1212.

5. Most importantly, how stupid are you to chirp the tires multiple times when you saw the police following you?

romanm55

I didn't know it was a cop car (it was unmarked Impala), I just happened to notice that some car followed me closely for several turns, and the headlights of Impala look a lot like ones on the Huindai Elantra at night, which my neighbour has. Actually I thought it was her coming back from school, as I was driving home on the path she usually takes. Thanks a lot for a reply.

You Are Guilty

Talk to a traffic lawyer. They should cost maybe $200 to work their magic on this one. Frankly, 1212 is not usually seen for chirping tires - its more for burnouts. Chirps are usually written up as "display of speed". If all you did was chirp the tires, a good attorney will be able to help a lot.

Let this be a lesson to everyone to learn the police cars' headlights! There's no reason not to be able to spot a Crown Vic or Impala at night!

romanm55

Update

Well, I just wanna say that I got off easy: I've got no points on my record (which would've made it 13 (existing 8+ new 5) if I were found guilty), I paid $400 to lawyer and $200 for a ticket. I wanna note that the officer was not present at the hearing. My advice to anybody who is in danger of getting more than 3 points - get a lawyer.

You Are Guilty

romanm55 said:
Well, I just wanna say that I got off easy: I've got no points on my record (which would've made it 13 (existing 8+ new 5) if I were found guilty), I paid $400 to lawyer and $200 for a ticket. I wanna note that the officer was not present at the hearing. My advice to anybody who is in danger of getting more than 3 points - get a lawyer.
Glad it worked out. Now slow down!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">