• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recently terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Historyfan

What is the name of your state? California.

I was recently terminated a week ago from a position in fast food. I was having a bad day and for some stupid reason, I let it out on my customers by being a little too curt. I didn't mean to sound that way, though. However, I realize that it was a mistake on my part and I shouldn't have done it. My boss told me that food service wasn't right for me because he felt I couldn't handle high-stress situations. He also told me what I was being terminated for and he said he wished he could put me in a different department instead of letting me go (but he's a restarant manager and didn't have the ability to place me somewhere else). This meeting ended on a good note and my boss was not angry with me (but rather dissapointed). For the record, I have been employed with this particular company for two years. My boss recommended I find employment in the enviroment of a retail store assisting customers one-on-one or somewhere where it's not a high-volume environment.

This is my first termination (I am a college age individual) and I am scared that I won't find employment because of it. I have been told by my parents, friends, and even my counselor that this is something that can be shrugged off and I'm worried over nothing. They said it's a learning experience and almost everyone has these kinds of things. I have rethought my mistake over and over (and can't seem to get it out of my head). I have learned my lesson (albeit a big one) and I will not be repeating it again anytime soon in customer service.

If asked by a potential employer, how would I go about admitting my mistakes without sounding out-of-place? I am now a month away from a B.A. and I am currently seeking employment to support myself and possible graduate school expenses. How would I write this on a job application? And how long should I wait to look for a job after termination? It's been a week and I'm still shaken up by it but I see all these job opportunities I'd like to apply for. And do graduate schools look at these kinds of things, too? Will this prohibit me from continuing my education?

I apologize for the lengthy post. Thanks for your advice!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your parents, counselor, etc. are right. This is a learning experience that we all go through in some way at some stage, and is not going to have a major impact on your future employment. It will have NO effect whatsoever on graduate school - they aren't going to care in the slightest.

When you apply for new positions (and you can start to do so immediately - there's no reason to wait) you can explain to a future employer, if asked, what the circumstances were and what you learned from it. If it seems appropriate, you can even tell them what your boss said about wishing there were another position he could move you into. You want to emphasize that you have learned your lesson and that there is no chance of the situation repeating itself. If they don't ask, you don't need to volunteer any information. Tell the truth about whatever they ask, but if they don't ask, don't tell.

Termination is not the kiss of death so many people believe. It's the rare individual that hasn't been fired or laid off from some position at some time in their lives. Particularly in an economy like this one, where many people are let go through no fault of their own, many, many employers are understanding about an occasional involuntary termination. Also, many employers will understand a youthful indiscretion - that's something else we've all been through.

BelizeBreeze

Termination is not the kiss of death so many people believe.
I've been fired so many times I decided to start working for the only boss who couldn't fire me.....ME!

I was even fired once as a boyfriend after a particularly bad performance....and, as CB so eloquently put it, I LEARNED :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">