• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement for Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lclapp

What is the name of your state?New York. I currently have a temporary order of protection that was issued by family court against my husband and there are charges pending with the police department. My attorney has filed a judgment for divorce based on inhumane treatment and cruelty. We have began the starting of the settlement and he wants the judgement of divorce changed to abandoment. My question is if I agree to change the judgement will the charges and the order of protection be affected?

Your order of protection is a totally different issue. The OOP is because you have a fear of bodily harm and/or injury and that will stay inplace unless he refutes it then you will go to a hearing if that time has not already come and gone. The charges with the police department are a seperate issue as well and the police decision on handing those charges to the DA will not be based on your divorce decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">