• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for medical bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katyusha

What is the name of your state?VA

My friend’s grandmother has recently had a medical emergency. She is an illegal immigrant , doesn’t have medical insurance and doesn’t work (she is 70 years old). My friend is legal , she owns a house where she and her grandmother live and has a good job.

The bill from the hospital is $30,000 and her grandmother can’t pay it. What will the hospital do? Do they have the right to sue my friend, due to the fact that her grandmother resides with her and is financially supported by her? Can they deport her grandmother?

Thank you.

djohnson

If she is here illegally, she could and should be deported. Why should we have to pay for her?

Did your friend sign anything to be responsible for the bill? If not then you have more to worry about than the bill. The friend could still have problems due to her status.

censored

It's highly unlikely she will be deported for this. Hospitals do not report to whatever it is they're calling the INS these days.

Virginia receives federal funds to care for undocumented aliens.
http://hippo.findlaw.com/SubtitleH.html#Anchor18

She may qualify for Medicaid coverage for this emergency only. If she has not spoken with a social worker about it, I'd suggest she do so and complete an application. According to the references I found, Virginia is fairly liberal in bestowing benefits on illegal immigrants. She should start with the Social Services Department at the hospital where she was treated. She will not be deported for requesting benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">