• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attourneys Travel Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

griffiths3

What is the name of your state?Washington

For an extended period of time we have been trying to settle a bill with a past attourney of ours. 50% of the bill is made up by travel fees. I heard that attorneys and lawyers are only able to bill at half their normal rate for time they are traveling to and from a meeting. So if the distance was 1 hour and their fee was $100 they could only charge us $50. Our situation is that we trasported the attorney in our vehicle which we drove to and from all meetings he is charging for. I am have trouble locating a precident or court case that mentions this. Can anyone help?

stevek3

griffiths3 said:
What is the name of your state?Washington

For an extended period of time we have been trying to settle a bill with a past attourney of ours. 50% of the bill is made up by travel fees. I heard that attorneys and lawyers are only able to bill at half their normal rate for time they are traveling to and from a meeting. So if the distance was 1 hour and their fee was $100 they could only charge us $50. Our situation is that we trasported the attorney in our vehicle which we drove to and from all meetings he is charging for. I am have trouble locating a precident or court case that mentions this. Can anyone help?
Read your retainer agreement. Half? Who said anything about half? Anyway, what's the difference who drove the car? Time is time. You owe for his time. Lawyers who don't work on contingency usually wear sundial wristwatches. You actually paid for that 15 minutes he spent sitting in the bathroom during the break at that one meeting you had at the other lawyer's office. That's just the way it works.

Try to settle with the guy. You want 50%, he wants 100%. Meet him halfway and offer to pay 75% of his normal hourly rate for his travel time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">