• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Representation without Client knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lelee

What is the name of your state? al

Suppose an attorney had filed papers on your behalf without your authorization or knowledge (simply based on a consultation you had with them....no agreement or understanding that he would be retained as counsel, verbally or otherwise) is this legal? ethical? what consequence can result if later one does NOT retain the attorney? If you later retain the attorney does it make the initial actions on the part of attorney legally binding?

Are you saying that an attorney filed paperwork for you on your behalf and there was not any retainment or agreement, then later you retain him anyway, and now you are wondering how to get sanctions applied against him now???

lelee

representation

You have the gist of my verbiage. At the time the complaint was filed, I had not retained the attorney for representation (verbally or otherwise). After my initial vist with the attorney, another attorney agreed to take the case. Unfortunately, a month into the case the second attorney declined any further representation. Shortly after this, I contacted the first attorney--only to find out he had already filed my complaint.

In any case, I am not necessarily interested if any sanactions against the attorney can be brought, but more in terms of trying to undo the damage that was done by the first attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">