• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Need Legal Help with Neighbors dangerous trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wa2rqy

What is the name of your state?Hi All;
I live in NY state, Long Island to be more precise.
I have lived at this house since 1970 and although these trees were there then, they posed no problems.
The problem now is, there are two large 50 year old trees, one on each neighbors property and only a few feet inside thier property line if that much!
Now, mine & most properties here are only about 60' wide by 100' deep, kinda small.
These trees in Question are are least 50-60' tall.
One tree has been dying over the last few years & branches are contiously falling, no big ones as yet.
The second tree from the other neighbor is also overgrown with some braches covering up to 20' inside my property line.
Over the last few years, this Tree has 4-5' long split at the main section with one branch towards his house & the other towards my property.
In his infinite wisdom, he has had a tree man, connect these 2 branches together with a steel cable which has snapped a few times already.
I consider both trees to be dangerous to My family, pets and property(house)because they can come down at any time
I have confronted both neighbors to no resolve.
I have contacted the Town compliance & tree dept. But they say its my responsibility to remove said branches
However, both tress cannot be trimmed due to the main trunks are on thier propert and because they need to be removed before someone is killed.
I have taken pictures but what good is this until we are hurt or worst.
Even if I could have them trimmed, I don't understand why it should cost me anything out of pocket when they have never maintained these trees.
My Family is afraid to go in my well maintained back yard because of this.
Oh, we are in range on falling trees anywhere in my yard because its only 60' with x 30-40'deep.
Can anyone help me please
Options?

snostar

wa2rqy said:
I have contacted the Town compliance & tree dept. But they say its my responsibility to remove said branches
However, both tress cannot be trimmed due to the main trunks are on thier propert and because they need to be removed before someone is killed.
You're responsible for trimming or not trimming the part of the branches that are within your property boundary. Be careful not to damage the trees. I love to climb tall trees......are you in Suffolk?

W

wa2rqy

Yes, I understand that but there are circumstances beyond my control.
Such as one tree does'nt hang over far enough to do anything. It is dying with limbs falling down & getting worst.
The other cannot be trimmed enough to eliminate it from falling down, its split at the trunk, on his side.
Trimming will not cure the dangerous problem
I live in Nassau, Massapequa.
If you like to climb & cut, be my guest :)

Send both neighbors letters (certified RRR) detailing the hazardous condition of the trees and the potential for damage. Emphasize that your notification serves to place both neighbors on notice that any resulting damage caused by either tree will be their responsibility due to their negligence in removing the hazard. You may also want to consider notifying your insurance company. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">