• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SKCMT

What is the name of your state? Texas

I received a letter from my insurance company since leaving my last job. There is no mention of COBRA. It does, however, say "Unfortunately, because you do not live in our service area, we are unable to provide individual coverage options to you at this time." and another sentence says, "Just visit www.bcbs.com to find the Blue Cross Blue Shield company nearest you. Next, you'll want to contact your local BCBS office for information on individual coverage options or conversion coverage that is available to you."

Isn't the insurance company, or is it the employer, supposed to notify you of your specific COBRA options within a specific time frame?

Thanks

Beth3

If your ex-employer has 20 or more employees, they are obligated to offer COBRA continuation for all participating employees who leave their employment, except for employees terminated for gross misconduct. An employer has 44 days to send COBRA notification if they are handling it themselves; 14 days if an outside administrator is doing it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
HOWEVER.

If you have moved outside the service area of the insurance you were covered on, and if the employer does not already have coverage in your new area, you forfeit COBRA.

For example: If you are living in Texas and move to Colorado, if your employer has coverage in Colorado already, they have to let you switch to the Colorado plan. But, if there is no coverage in Colorado, you're on your own - the employer is not required to implement a new plan in Colorado just for you.

S

SKCMT

I haven't moved. The company I worked for is in another state, but I worked in Texas. The letter I received doesn't mention COBRA.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, let's clarify a few things. I have a vague idea what's going on here but I want to be certain before I respond further.

How long ago did you leave your employment?

What insurance plan were you covered on while you were employed?

S

SKCMT

I was terminated on Oct 26. I received the letter from the insurance company (Anthem BCBS) two days ago, Nov 16. Depending on who is to send me a letter concerning COBRA, and the time frame it is to be sent, I just want to be sure of what I can expect or if this letter suffices.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer has up to 44 days from your last day of employment (or the last day of insurance coverage - they are not necessarily the same) to notify you of your right to COBRA. Since you say you have not moved, you must be given the opportunity to remain on the same insurance that you've been covered on up to now.

Some insurance companies automatically offer an employee whose coverage has been cancelled, the chance to convert to an individual policy. They don't differentiate between employees who are just becoming eligible for COBRA, and those who are just coming off it; in fact, depending on who's administrating the COBRA, they may not even know the difference. I suspect this is what you've received.

Assuming that your employer uses the a third party adminstrator (and under the recently implemented new regs, I believe even if they are acting as their own administrator) they have until December 9 to legally send you the COBRA information, and if (as may be the case) the insurance continued until the end of the month in which you were termed, they have until December 14.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">