• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing school bus in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cameratype24

What is the name of your state? Georgia

A week ago I was issued a citation for failure to stop for a school bus. The incident was an accident, and I told the officer so. I am under 21 and I know that my liscense could be pulled for 6 months. Is there any possibility of probation or jail time? Is getting a lawyer advisable (I am starting to think so). I am in Fulton county near Atlanta, by the way.

Wish me luck ~ Perrin

cameratype24

This instance has really scared me straight for good. I'm extremely thankful I didn't hit any children, which is the best thing out of all this.

snostar

I forgot to add that you will most definitely also have to pay a fine.

Don't forget how "really scared" you are now... for the children and us parents!

I love to 'drive' fast, but only on open roads these days. :D

tigger22472

Yes you should be very careful. Read this article and go to this link to see the picture of what can, does, and did happen in my area recently when you aren't paying attention....

Tippecanoe County, Nov. 10 - Investigators reconstructed the accident that took place on US 52 near Stockwell Road south of Lafayette.

Then parked an incidental school bus on Highway 52, then drove the truck's path. Nothing, they claim, prevented the driver from seeing the bus and, with its lights flashing, avoiding the collision.

Although the investigation is far from complete, Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Captain Mark Kirby feels, "This driver acted in a reckless manor."

Evidence of recklessness, investigators say, makes it more likely they will pursue criminal charges against the truck's driver, 40-year-old Timothy Wright.

"This guy traveled many, many seconds with the bus in view with lights activated," adds Kirby. "He ran into the back of it. In my opinion it would qualify for criminal charges."

The accident injured 14 children, three seriously. All 35 riding the bus attend Cole Elementary School.

James Cole is a small school os just 300 students. Counselors, teachers, children and parents are still sorting out the details and their emotions. "Making sure they OK and not having nightmares after the accident," says parent Trish Compton. "Just picking up the pieces and doing the best we can do."

Although student Tanner is mad and sad about the accident. "I am glad to be with my friends and not in a wreck." But he didn't ride the bus on Wednesday. Mom says he will Thursday.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?s=2549024

snostar

tigger22472 said:
Read this article and go to this link to see the picture of what can, does, and did happen in my area recently when you aren't paying attention....
There's nothing like a dose of REALITY! There was school bus accident in my area recently also, 2 children died, 5 yr olds....but the investigation continues.

cameratype24

Should I get a lawyer to try to get the fine reduced, or to try to get the points or length of suspension reduced? Or is there any point in trying? Would a plea of "guilty" be a good idea?

I

i5networks

I would not hire a lawyer for something like that. The attorney fee will be more than the fine. Take to the DA and see what you can work out with him. First offense I assume?

I wouldn't rely on posts on the internet for something as serious as this but would seek the advise of a lawyer.

Most will give an initial consult for free and give a ballpark estimate of the impact. Give several a call and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">