• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Different Benefits for Exempt and Non-Exempt Employees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

las4148

California - My employer offers maternity leave compensation at a higher percentage to exempt employees, while non-exempt employees receive maternity leave compensation, but at a much lower percentage. This to me seems discriminatory, as a woman is a woman no matter what her job status is. Are there any laws that provide for equal maternity benefits for all female employees, regardless of job title/exemption status? Any insight is most appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, but this is perfectly legal. An employer may not differentiate benefits based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnant/not pregnant, or because they are or are not over 40. But it is permitted, and not at all uncommon, to offer different benefits based on exempt/non-exempt; office/shop; full time/part time; or any other non-discriminatory basis.

And no, this is not illegal discrimination. BECAUSE both the exempt and non-exempt employees are women, they are not getting different benefits because of gender. It's because of their job positions, and THAT's legal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">