• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University Parking Citation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joole

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Is a university parking citation a real ticket? It doesn't have any court date on it and to appeal it says to write to the community office. I got a citation at emory for parking in the parking deck without a permit, but I am not a student there.
At the bottom is says the amount will be billed to my student account which I don't have.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

An easy way to find out is not to pay it. Then, put on your tennis shoes because your car will be towed. OR, carry a big stick at graduation because you won't be receiving your degree, OR, if you transfer, better make it University of Nowhere because your transcripts won't go anywhere.

J

Joole

Thanks for your reply. But I said I was not a student there.

BelizeBreeze

Joole said:
Thanks for your reply. But I said I was not a student there.
Knock Knock
Who's there.
Dominos Pizza.
(door opening)
Hey, You're not Dominos!
(handing you a summons to appear)
You have been served!

two months later.

Judge: Guilty, pay the clerk.

CdwJava

Joole said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

Is a university parking citation a real ticket? It doesn't have any court date on it and to appeal it says to write to the community office. I got a citation at emory for parking in the parking deck without a permit, but I am not a student there.
At the bottom is says the amount will be billed to my student account which I don't have.
Parking cites are almost always non-court matters. They tend to be held as administrative procedures and not criminal courts. However, failing to pay it could find that you have your registration revoked, your license revoked, or a judgement attached to your vehicle so the next time you go to register or sell it, the fees WILL be paid.

However, I'm not sure which applies in GA. But, if you want to avoid at least the threat of collections, it might be best to just pay the darn thing.

- Carl

wanabath

I recieved a parking ticket about 5 years ago from a college that I no longer went to. They sent me letters saying that they would not release my transcripts if it was not paid. To bad I dont need them. About two years latter I got another letter from them to pay the ticket. Thought that was funny.

Well, up until now, I still ahve not paid it, and have not had problems.

CdwJava

Different states and agencies may have different procedures. In CA a lien would be placed against the registration of the vehicle, or, it would go to collections - and that's an additional $250 on top of the $30 or so for the parking violation!

To be safe, it's probably best to just pay it off rather than roll the dice of destiny and HOPE that nothing can or will come of it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">