• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after filing a complaint for hostile workplace.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JENNGEER

I was recently fired from a government job. I was fired after filing a complaint to HR after I was finally pushed over the edge by a harassing coworker. My coworker did not care for the sound of my voice, and threated me on numerous occasions. On my last day, she became so irate that she verbally attacked me and and humiliated me by saying very nasty things in front of a group of coworkers. There were several witnesses to this inappropriate behavior, yet I was terminated because of it. To make matters worse, my supervisor is giving references to possible future employers that I am "not a team player". This is causing me to have very bad luck in looking for new employment. I have many years of good employment history, and this all seems to go out the window because of what this woman is saying about me. What can I do? I am in Florida, a "right to work state" .... in other words, "you have absolutely no protections" state and I was fired 10 days prior to my probationairy period ending. Because of this, not only did they have what they say is the legal right to fire me for any reason that they want, but I was robbed of all of the leave that I had earned up to that point which was the equivalent of about 5,000.00. Is there any way to sue for damages or slander?

Beth3

What you describe is not a hostile work environment in the legal definition of the phrase unless the reason this co-worker was treating this way was because of your age (if over 40), race, gender, national origin, religion, etc. If she just didn't like you or is just a nasty person, that's not illegal.

P.S. Right to work means you don't have to join a union in order to be employed. What you mean to say is that Florida is an "at will" State (as are 48 others) which means that you can be terminated at any time for any reason except for a specifically prohibited reason. Conversely it also means you can walk away from a job any time you want.

You cannot sue your employer if they are saying you are not a team player when contacted for a reference. (a) They are entitled to their opinion and (b) from their perspective that may be a true statement. Whether you can sue the co-worker for whatever she may be saying about you depends upon what she is saying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">