• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beauhunkus57

My son was just fired for failing a drug test, he doesn't use drugs but was around them a few days before the test. He explained it to the boss and asked for a 2nd test, they refused and fired him. we live in Indiana. Someone told me that they have to give a second test to make sure. Is this true? if there anything he can do? thanks

B

beauhunkus57

I posted this message for some advise, not smart remarks. You do realize that not everyone does drugs don't you. He has passed several random drug tests for work. This is the first time to ever fail one. He does not do drugs. It can get into your system just like 2nd hand smoke. Is there anyone on this site that can give me a real answer. If not....I'll quit wasting my time.

B

beauhunkus57

they didn't tell him, just that he couldn't retake the test. but he was around maryjuana (sp?) so we can only assume that's what showed up

Beth3

beau, I'm in HR and have probably interviewed well over a thousand individuals over the years. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that "It wasn't me; it was the people I was around" excuse when a candidate has tested positive for marijuana. (I don't know a single HR person who hasn't heard that excuse dozens of times either.) Unless your son was confined in a room with no ventillation for days with a group of people chain smoking dope, he's lying. Nobody tests positive for marijuana unless they've been smoking it themselves.

I'm not giving you a smart-ass answer. The sooner you accept that your son is using drugs and get him into some sort of treatement program, the better off he will be. If you elect to believe this nonsense he's dishing out, you're just enabling his continuing drug use.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
P.S. The person who told you they are required to give him a second test is wrong. Nothing in either Federal or Indiana law requires that. They are allowed to fire him for suspected misconduct, even if they are mistaken. So even if your son is a medical miracle who somehow managed to test positive from being around second hand smoke several days before (which is about as likely as my winning the lottery - and I don't play the lottery) that is still legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">