• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gross misrepesentation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alekseyru

Hi, there
I've signed a contract to buy 2 bedroom condo for $ 223.000 with $ 23.000 downpayment.A week later I found out It's officially 1 bedroom unit with a den.It was advertised on the internet as well as in the MLS Listing as 2 bedroom apartment.In the brief discription of the unit it said "2nd bedroom is presently used as a den (easily put back wall for bdrm) easily converted to bedroom".This made me think it's really 2 bedroom and not have asked more questions.Originally entered the apartment to check, I saw a separate room without wall and door, no closets at all.I asked my lawyer to get me out of the deal since I have a family of 4 to occupy this unit(impossible for us) and they (lawyers) made an agreement over the phone: as soon as they sign new contract with new buyer I get my money back.Two weeks later we got a letter stating they have new buyer signed the contract but for $ 220.000 and they ready to return my downpayment except $ 3.000 as a damage.Their argument is once we entered the unit it was clearly undestandable it's 1 bedroom unit.(no wall, door and closets). We sent them a letter that this offer is unacceptable,because I relied upon in entering the contract of sale,the unit was being sold as a two bedroom unit and it's not what I bargained for.There was a gross misrepresentation on the part of the seller and seller's realtor. If my money is not received in full, I will file a lis pendance on the unit,so now we are waiting for the answer!
My question is what should I do next? Keep fighting till the end with the possibility going to the court(does not make sense), or just grab the money and forget about $ 3.000? Someone told me it's american way and it's smarter!
But people lie and we pay for this (my opinion)???
Thanks a lot!

HomeGuru

alekseyru said:
Hi, there
I've signed a contract to buy 2 bedroom condo for $ 223.000 with $ 23.000 downpayment.A week later I found out It's officially 1 bedroom unit with a den.It was advertised on the internet as well as in the MLS Listing as 2 bedroom apartment.In the brief discription of the unit it said "2nd bedroom is presently used as a den (easily put back wall for bdrm) easily converted to bedroom".This made me think it's really 2 bedroom and not have asked more questions.Originally entered the apartment to check, I saw a separate room without wall and door, no closets at all.I asked my lawyer to get me out of the deal since I have a family of 4 to occupy this unit(impossible for us) and they (lawyers) made an agreement over the phone: as soon as they sign new contract with new buyer I get my money back.Two weeks later we got a letter stating they have new buyer signed the contract but for $ 220.000 and they ready to return my downpayment except $ 3.000 as a damage.Their argument is once we entered the unit it was clearly undestandable it's 1 bedroom unit.(no wall, door and closets). We sent them a letter that this offer is unacceptable,because I relied upon in entering the contract of sale,the unit was being sold as a two bedroom unit and it's not what I bargained for.There was a gross misrepresentation on the part of the seller and seller's realtor. If my money is not received in full, I will file a lis pendance on the unit,so now we are waiting for the answer!
My question is what should I do next? Keep fighting till the end with the possibility going to the court(does not make sense), or just grab the money and forget about $ 3.000? Someone told me it's american way and it's smarter!
But people lie and we pay for this (my opinion)???
Thanks a lot!
**A: are you American and can you read the website rules?

A

alekseyru

I'm not american yet, but I'm going to be very soon!
Name of the state is New York,sorry.

A

alekseyru

You are smart guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">