• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Position Eliminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DixiesMom

I was recently laid off (position eliminated) from a company I worked for nearly 5 years; this lay off does not go into effect for approximately two weeks. During these 5 years, I held several positions. Approximately 4 months prior to being laid off, my position was changed. The company is now hiring and advertising for a position I previously held.

Are they in any way obligated to offer me my old position back?

Thank you!

BelizeBreeze

That's a very good question and of course, I have one of my own. Why did you purposely delete the question of your location?

D

DixiesMom

I did not delete the question. It never appeared and next to my profile it says Southern California. I hope that answers your question! Thanks!! :)

BelizeBreeze

"What is your state" is the very first line of every new thread. It's there because when you put your location in your profile, it MAY not be the same location as pertains to your legal question.

To get rid of this question you have to PURPOSELY delete it from the initial post. Just take a gander at the more than 600,000 other posts and you'll see it.

Now, to answer your question, unless you are a member of a union or other collective bargaining agreement which requires your former employer to do such, no, they are not obligated to offer you anything, including your old position.

Beth3

Belize, with whatever software change the site made overnight, the "What State are you in?" question has disappeared.

DixiesMom, in this instance that question happens to be irrelevant as in any State, absent an employment contract to the contrary, an employer is not obligated to offer you your former job back or any other.

D

DixiesMom

Thanks and Excuse Me

Thanks for answering my question!

And to reiterate I deleted absolutely nothing, perhaps the application is not performing properly or there was some other problem. But I didn't delete anything whatsoever. The question was never put to me.

And also thanks for the warm and officious welcome to the forum! Please note the sarcasm intended.

BelizeBreeze

Beth3 said:
Belize, with whatever software change the site made overnight, the "What State are you in?" question has disappeared.
QUOTE]
That is correct. HOWEVER, above each and every page are the instructions for posting where this statment is placed:

"Please choose a Forum below to read or post a question - US Law Only - YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE "

If an issue is important enough to post on an internet forum you'd think people would have the intelligence to at least read the instructions. :rolleyes:

D

DixiesMom

You are the reason people hate forums like this

Belize,

Obviously it was my very first post. Obviously there was a change in the software. Obviously I was not attempting to hide my location as it was listed right next to my name (unlike yours). And finally...obviously you are an officious, self-important, condescending jerk and you are the reason people hate forums like this one.

I CAME TO THIS FORUM TO GET SOME HELP AND INSTEAD WOUND UP GETTING A NASTY, HEAPING HELPING OF YOUR ATTITUDE!

Let this be a warning for other new people who may be considering posting a question...don't do it unless you have every i dotted and every t crossed because some "senior members" may take offense and lambaste you.

Thanks a whole lot for your "help"!

BelizeBreeze

Now, to answer your question, unless you are a member of a union or other collective bargaining agreement which requires your former employer to do such, no, they are not obligated to offer you anything, including your old position.
Remember THAT? Stick your prissy attitude lady. MANY people here post questions for locations OTHER than where they reside. I guess you walk around all day with this 'entitlement' chip on your shoulder, hence you think someone owes you a job.

D

DixiesMom

MY Attitude?

Belize,

You have some nerve to talk about MY attitude?

And to clarify, I don't think anyone owes me a thing. My employer prior to the one I was referring to offered positions in classifications that you previously held during lay off periods. I was simply inquiring as to whether or not this was a legal obligation. If anyone here has an inflated sense of entitlement it's you thinking that you're due some sort of reverence because you're a "senior member" when you can't even show people simple common courtesy.

Beth3,

I truly appreciate your help and your willingness to help a new person who is not familar with your forum. Also, I really like your signature! Isn't telling how a person treats others they feel are beneath them...I couldn't agree more!! Thanks again!

Anyone here want to wager on how Belize treats waitstaff? Bet he's a lousy tipper too...in his eyes I'm sure they're not entitled to anything for their good service.

Last edited:
D

DixiesMom

Pffffffffffffft...is that your alien language, Belize?

If anyone needs medication for their delusions, it's you.

And I got laid off yesterday, what's your excuse for lurking around all morning when most would be working?

Beth3 is so very right again life is way too short hang around and educate you on civility and graciousness...and you know it's pretty tough to teach an old dog new tricks.

Happy flaming Belize...I know it's the only kind of satisfaction you'll be getting from life; pity isn't it.

BelizeBreeze

And I got laid off yesterday, what's your excuse for lurking around all morning when most would be working?
Well let's see. It could be the $47,800 in my checking account or the $1.5 mil I just put in trust for the girls (each) or the company that I own that also pays my salary even if I decide to stay in bed or ....or ....or the fact that I'm semi-retired :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">