• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother's first ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abby123

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hey everyone,
My 18 year old brother got pulled over tonight for running a stop sign. My brother said that he is positive that he stopped. He said that the cop was asking odd questions, like for instance, when my brother said he was coming from the local video rental place, the cop asked to see the video he rented, and proceeded to stare at it. He also asked to see the insurance card, which is fine, but after looking at it for a while, said it was expired. My brother's friend was with him, he looked at the card himself and it wasn't expired. When he told the cop this, he said "fine" and threw the card back at my brother. He also asked for my brother's social security number, my brother said he didn't know it by memory, and the cop scolded him. My brother also said that the cop pulled him over well past the stop sign.

I'm wondering if my brother has good grounds to contest the ticket. Thanks.

CdwJava

Well, he certainly can try. With his friend to testify with him that he came to a complete stop, he just might win out. The other issues are odd, but may not cast any doubt on the officer's version of events. He may have read the card different, may have been looking for something else, who knows?

He should bring his friend to court and they can both testify that he came to a complete stop at the limit line.

And hopefully he knows that it is not just stopping that is required, but stopping at the limit line.

- Carl

ksigatmsu7f02

Being from Texas...and this is all speculation and my personal opinion none of which is necesarily true and fully correct since I am neither a cop nor a lawyer just your average guy who has been pulled over WAY too many times.....I have found that cops here, all over the state..I'm not sure why but it seems worse here, ask all kinds of stupid questions and try to trick you up into saying something that will give him reason to search the vehicle. I would say this is probably what was happening with all the odd questions especially since the driver was young and with another young person, you said tonight, so I am suspecting this was after dark on a Friday night when cops assume all young people are out for bad reasons. And from my personal experience he most likely pulled him over just because he was young and assumed he was up to no good. Which that will never be admitted or is it even worth arguing. I would also say if a ticket was written the officer most likely felt that he actually didn't come to a complete stop, even if your brother feels he did. The officer was most likely watching closely while your brother I doubt was paying close attention that his vehicle came to a complete stop. He does have a witness that will say he did so it is definatly worth fighting but I would say if the DA offers a plea you might as well take it. Else fight it and good luck with it. Jason

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">