• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

malpratice????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

to_sweet_03264

I live in new hampshire for 25 years and my son of three. I have hpv and i found out the day i was suppose to give birth, well i went to my doctor and i asked him if he could give me a sea section for it because i knew there was a chance my child could get it....well the doctor told me they do not give them for them cases....So there was not much i could do, well i gave birth and sence the day he was born he has had problems, they said Rsv , asthma, and the gave him meds for them things, well to come and find out after taking him back to the doctors for three months he had hpv in the voice box..........he has had three surguries and he might have to have them for the rest of his life, and he talks very differently and does not breath normal as others do. in the mean time everytime he has them done it scares his vocal cords.......i was wondering if i could sue for malpractice because the doctor knew the risk of him getting hpv, and now all because he did not want to give me the sea section my child will have problems for life...........Ty.......KJ

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

HPV infection might be transmitted in utero or during the delivery, most likely the source of HPV in your child was in utero. Usually viral infections are not increased in transmission during delivery, but if the condyloma are huge (blocking delivery) a c-section may be performed for that reason. Your doctor was correct, C-sections are not routinely done in the instance of HPV. There are risks associated with C-sections, this is not the same as precautions taken for herpes. You can consult with an attorney re other aspects of your treatment, but if you didn't know prior to delivery that you had HPV and the doctor is following the usual standard of care it doesn't appear that you have a case of mal practice for that reason. If your child had asthma and RSV as well as HPV there may be some other reason for their sensivity. Any child who has asthma should also have genetic testing for A1AD
http://www.alphaone.org/alpha1/get_tested.html
The World Health Organization (WHO), the American Thoracic Society (ATS), the European Thoracic Society (ERS), and the Alpha-1 Foundation's Medical And Scientific Advisory Committee (MASAC) recommend that all individuals with COPD, adults and adolescents with asthma, individuals with a family history of Alpha-1 and individuals with unexplained or chronic liver disease should be tested for Alpha-1.

Alpha-1 can be detected by a simple blood or mouth swab test. Individuals can ask their physician to test them for Alpha-1, they may also choose to be tested on a confidential basis through the Foundation's Alpha-1 Coded Testing (ACT) Study.

Alpha-1 Coded Testing Trial

This trial offers free and confidential finger-stick testing for Alpha-1. The test is administered through a research study which evaluates the risks and benefits of persons receiving a blood test offering genetic information. Participants or the participant's guardian must submit a short pre and post-test questionnaire. This new program established by the Alpha-1 Foundation will be headquartered at the Research Registry Coordinating Center at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. For more information or a test kit please email the Registry Coordinator at [email protected], or call toll free at 1-(877)-886-2383.

ellencee

to_sweet_03264
You may want to consult with a medmal attorney in your area.
There are several factors that are of importance in determining whether or not the physician failed to protect the baby during childbirth.

If I understood your description of events, you did not know you had HPV until the day you went into labor. Is that correct?

How did you find out that you had HPV?

After you told your doctor that you had HPV, did the doctor exam you for the presence of any warts on your genitals or in the birth canal or on the cervix?

If the physician did exam you and warts were found, did he remove the warts and prevent the areas from bleeding during childbirth?

If the physician did not:
--examine you after you told him you had HPV,
--remove any warts and prevent bleeding during childbirth, or
--deliver the child by C-section if bleeding was not preventable or the warts could not be removed prior to childbirth,
then, you may have a viable claim of medical malpractice (negligence) that caused your infant to suffer significant damages.

If you are of Latino immigrant status, even 25 years ago, the physician should have been aware of increased chances of undiagnosed and untreated HPV and the risks thereof.

I suggest you consult with a medical malpractice attorney in your area and discuss your concerns with the attorney.

Best wishes,
EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">