• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

malpractice or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AmyZhang

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI

I got a really bad abortion experience. One note in advance, I came from a country where abortion is a common choice for pregnant woman, so please do not judge me with the religion although I did regret it now.

I was pregnant and decided to get an abortion. The clinic gave me the abortion pill since I was in very early stage (6 weeks). Following the instruction, I used the pill and went back for a checkup 3 days later. A nurse did the ultrasound told me everything looked fine and the abortion was completed based on her knowledge. She also mentioned that a doctor would look at the ultrasound result and if there is any issue they would call me.

I got no phone call. But the spot-bleeding seemed never stopped. In addition, I noticed I became very weak since without taking a rest in the between, I couldn't even climb up to 3rd floor by stairs which used to be a really easy task for me. But with the doctor's comments that the spot bleeding was normal and may last for 1 month, I think everything is the normal outcome from an abortion. Not until ~1month later, one Sunday afternoon I bled non-stop for ~2 hours. My friend almost rushed me to the ER, but the bleeding stopped so I stayed at home to rest. Early next morning (Monday), I called the clinic and only got the first available appointment on Friday. I told the nurse about my bleeding, she thought it might be a real period. On Friday, the nurse performed the routine pal-smear on me. Then it ended up I was bleeding non-stopped. The doctor rushed in and only determined that the abortion was not completed at all, she did a surgery immediately to stop the bleeding and sent me to ER afterwards. I was hospitalized for 1 night and got blood transfusion because I lost too much blood.

It has been almost half a year. I am glad that my life comes back to normal. But I just feel the clinic should have been more careful. How come they couldn't catch it by the ultrasound in the following checkup? I hope other people wouldn't have to go through the same thing.

Any advice on this? Thanks!

Amy

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are considering a lawsuit, which I assume you are since you posted on a legal site, know that you can only sue for actual damages, not for what might have happened.

You might be able to get your medical bills paid. That would be about the extent of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">