• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladyk

I've recently found out that I was pregnant. My now ex-fiance who broke up with me when I found out I was pregnant tells me that If I don't have an abortion he will sue me for custody once the baby arrives. What steps can I take to ensure that this cannot happen. I am choosing to keep the baby because of medical problems which may prevent me from having a baby in the future.

LegalBeagle

This is a very common threat by people. He has virtually no chance of getting custody of a newborn. In fact, even visitation is difficult other than short & supervised during the first 2 years.

First of all, document everything. Do not speak to your ex via any unrecorded method. So, email, letter or have a voice recorder. When people start to threaten, it is time to record and document.

You can also go see an attorney but personally I would wait for the baby to arrive. Also see what he does, as he will not be able to just file and take the baby.

And remember to breast feed, it is 10 times better than the mass produced crap you get at the shops :)

P

PeachyKeen

Wow, your Ex sounds like a real jerk. Maybe it's a good thing he is the Ex. I would think that just staying away from him since he already told you to get an abortion would be the thing to do. I have a lawyer friend who says that the only way he can get custody of the baby is by proving you to be an unfit mother. If your clean and healthy with no problems, physically or mentally or with drugs and alcohol you should be all set to raise the baby. I personally think it's his way of ducking out of his responsibilities and his way of trying to scare you into having an abortion.
I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

S

stuckonstupid

I am also pregnant, due in 28 days! :) I am dealing with and have been dealing with the same exact kind of threats from my baby's dad since I told him I was pregnant. The first reply you got includes some good adivce. I have been searching and searching for the same answers you are looking for. If you are breastfeeding, that is sure to help and like they said documenting conversations with him is a good idea. Fromw hat I understand, any recordings you obtain can not be used if he doesn't know he was being recorded, but if someone else is on the line, they can vouge for you. Don't let his threats get you down or stop you from doing what you feel is best for you and your child. I know exactly what you are going through, you are not alone. If you want to e-mail me and let me know what has happened or how you have dealt with it. I am still stuck on stupid (hence the name) and not really knowing where to turn. Maybe we can help eachother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">