• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA Violation? - Need input please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carolina_couple

What is the name of your state? SC

Hello:

Our pediatrician's office billed the incorrect (having been told the correct) insurance company. Later, their hired "consultant" sent out a notice for us to pay the doctor to protect our credit (which happens to be excellent). When we opened the unsealed letter, there was another envelope stuck to the back of ours that was also unsealed. One would think both of these went to the correct address, but such is not the case, just ours. Letter #2 was sent by the same consultant on behalf of the patients psychiatrist, which ended up at the wrong address since both letters were not sealed. We wonder how many went out that day, and we probably are not alone. This whole thing started because of improper billing, now, we have been unjustly turned over to this person who calls himself a "Credit Advisor". Furthermore, my wife and I are now in the possession of another person's medical bill and do not know where to take it. If we mail it to the patient, he will probably be late and turned over to collections, as stated in both letters. Send it to the doctor?

All thoughts welcome. Thanks!

ikecvfd2

carolina_couple said:
What is the name of your state? SC

Hello:

Our pediatrician's office billed the incorrect (having been told the correct) insurance company. Later, their hired "consultant" sent out a notice for us to pay the doctor to protect our credit (which happens to be excellent). When we opened the unsealed letter, there was another envelope stuck to the back of ours that was also unsealed. One would think both of these went to the correct address, but such is not the case, just ours. Letter #2 was sent by the same consultant on behalf of the patients psychiatrist, which ended up at the wrong address since both letters were not sealed. We wonder how many went out that day, and we probably are not alone. This whole thing started because of improper billing, now, we have been unjustly turned over to this person who calls himself a "Credit Advisor". Furthermore, my wife and I are now in the possession of another person's medical bill and do not know where to take it. If we mail it to the patient, he will probably be late and turned over to collections, as stated in both letters. Send it to the doctor?

All thoughts welcome. Thanks!
I would mail it back to the sender and let them send it to the rightful person. That way they know it was their mistake, and that's why that person is late. Even if they get sent to collections, that isn't the end of the world. Having an account in collections doesn't automatically mess up you credit. I really don't see any hipaa violation as it was not done knowingly.

C

carolina_couple

Thanks for the reply

That was good advice. Thanks for your input.

censored

I don't quite agree. The fact that an envelope got stuck to yours is perhaps an unforseeable event, but mailing unsealed bills with personal health information is sloppy at best. This 'credit advisor' has an obligation under HIPAA to protect this information. File a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">