• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Glaucoma Denial of Medications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abnrgr509

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Timeline – The following is ALL documented with originals signed off by Arizona Department of Correction officials that I have in my possession.
October 3rd 2003 incarcerated into the Maricopa County Jail awaiting sentencing on a marijuana charge. During this time I am treated for pigmentary glaucoma and given a waiver to wear my prescription sunglasses 24/7 as I have lost 60% of my pupil’s ability to open and close.

November 26th 2003 I am transferred to the Arizona Department of Corrections. A medical doctor sees me, my prescriptions are renewed (DOC acknowledges my glaucoma), but the Alphagan is changed to Timolol by D.O.C. doctor (not an ophthalmologist), and my waiver from Maricopa County is not recognized and I am not allowed to wear my sunglasses. I am informed that I will see a doctor within two weeks after I get to a “yard”.

December 4th 2003 I am transferred to the Winslow prison, Coronado Unit. I am not allowed to wear my sunglasses, six weeks go by with no medical appointment. I put in a health needs request (HNR) for my eyes. I am charged $3.00 for this. At this appointment I give D.O.C. V.A. medical records covering my glaucoma back to 1998. I request and I am told I will receive a medical waiver to wear my sunglasses and a limited duty waiver for no outside work. This is confirmed by a CO3 on January 15th 2004 with his phone call to medical. He writes this information on my HNR as I will not be in possession of this waiver for a week. I receive the waiver on January 22nd 2004 without the waiver for no outside work. The nurse practitioner informs me that sunglasses are more than sufficient. Note: Until this waiver I have been without sunglasses for 7 weeks.

March 30th 2004 I submit my request for my 3 glaucoma medications. They are denied on the basis that I need “re-evaluation”. I submit another HNR just for that. The nurse practitioner tells me that the medications are expensive and they wanted to know if I still needed them. ( I was diagnosed with pigmentary glaucoma in April of 1997 ) My Ophthalmologist from the V.A gets involved at this point with phone calls to the optometrist telling him I will go blind without these medications. I am without medications for 8 days and my vision goes “foggy” as the ocular pressure rose to extremely high levels. Also, the prescription label which stated I had 1 more refill had been zeroed out. Once I receive these medications I am told that this will never happen again. The eye drops I receive are mislabeled as pills for the next 2 sets of refills. I have all these labels.

June 16th, 2004 I finally receive a “no outside work” waiver from the Dept. of Corrections. I am transferred to the Marana Correctional Facility June 25th 2004. My medical records are left on top of the van and blow away during transportation. A written report is made by myself on July 5th 2004 to the Medical Director at the Marana facility of the incident.

September 15th 2004 I submit my request for medications. I try to retrieve them on Sept 17th 2004, informed they are not ready. Monday evening September 20th 2004 I am informed that the prescription has run out and to submit another HNR to see the Doctor.
The nurse states that she can’t understand why this happened as glaucoma is a chronic condition and it is against Dept. of Corrections policy to deny medications to patients with chronic conditions. I am seen by the Doctor on September 25th 2004, medications approved immediately, I receive them on September 28th 2004 at 2100 hours. I am virtually blind at this point. Eyesight returns to normal (for glaucoma) in 60 hours. I am released on October 7th 2004. During my time of incarceration I never saw an ophthalmologist nor was treated for glaucoma, even though I requested so. I will be seen by the V.A. on October 18th to determine how much damage has been done to my vision.

Oct. 18th 2004 - Saw the V.A. today, series of tests shows significant damaged, will have all medical records and photographs (insides of eyes) in a few days.
Need help in finding an attorney in AZ. as I now live in another state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">