• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold the Car -- New Owner Got a Ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AZM1000

What is the name of your state? OH

Two years ago I sold my car. It was titled and registered in Ohio, but I sold it to someone from Michigan. I left my plates on the car at the time as a favor to the new owner. We agreed that he'd keep them on only until he got temporary tags in Michigan a few days later.

Apparently, a couple of days after I sold the car to the Michigan man, he got a parking ticket in Detroit. I say "apparently" because I got a notice yesterday -- two years after he got the ticket -- that it hadn't been paid. They sent it to me because my old plates, which were still on the car when he got the ticket, indicated that I was the owner. It's only $80, which I guess means it may be more trouble than it's worth to fight it. Still, I didn't own the car or get the ticket.

Any chance of explaining this one away?

stevek3

AZM1000 said:
What is the name of your state? OH

Two years ago I sold my car. It was titled and registered in Ohio, but I sold it to someone from Michigan. I left my plates on the car at the time as a favor to the new owner. We agreed that he'd keep them on only until he got temporary tags in Michigan a few days later.

Apparently, a couple of days after I sold the car to the Michigan man, he got a parking ticket in Detroit. I say "apparently" because I got a notice yesterday -- two years after he got the ticket -- that it hadn't been paid. They sent it to me because my old plates, which were still on the car when he got the ticket, indicated that I was the owner. It's only $80, which I guess means it may be more trouble than it's worth to fight it. Still, I didn't own the car or get the ticket.

Any chance of explaining this one away?
The IDENTICAL thing happened to me and my Ohio plates about 15 years ago. I sold a car to a friend, who turned out to not be a friend at all. Over a year later, I start getting all sorts of different tickets in the mail, and I have no idea what they're for. Then, it suddenly occurs to me the jackass obviously is still driving around with my plates. I didn't have to pay the tickets, but it took a lot of time to resolve and was a major headache. It's your call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">