• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VC27007 Use of Amplified Sound System 50ft+

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brainerupt

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
This is just an inquiry of a close friends circumstances. It was explained to me that a city PD was parked on private property without running lights on. He was conducting surveillance on a busy intersection. The time was around 8:30pm and the parking lot he was parked in was empty. My friend was pulled over and told that his car could be heard 300ft before entering the intersection which validated the vehicle code. I did some research and spoke with with police officer not working in the local office and he stated that not only is it considered entrapment for not having his running light on, but the surveillance of a public intersection from private property requires the permission of said properties management or ownership in order to be valid. I have attempted to find any VC to back this information up and am requesting some help.
Thanks

CdwJava

Brainerupt said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
This is just an inquiry of a close friends circumstances. It was explained to me that a city PD was parked on private property without running lights on. He was conducting surveillance on a busy intersection. The time was around 8:30pm and the parking lot he was parked in was empty. My friend was pulled over and told that his car could be heard 300ft before entering the intersection which validated the vehicle code. I did some research and spoke with with police officer not working in the local office and he stated that not only is it considered entrapment for not having his running light on, but the surveillance of a public intersection from private property requires the permission of said properties management or ownership in order to be valid. I have attempted to find any VC to back this information up and am requesting some help.
Thanks
If you spoke to a police officer, then he/she needs to go back to the academy. If that person used the term "entrapment" for this, then they have no idea what the term means under CA law.

No. The officer did NOT need to have his parking lights on.

No. He does NOT need the permission of the property owner to surveille the street from said property. If it is private property (like the driveway of a residence) the owner of the property can complain, but it makes no difference for the traffic matter.

If your stereo system was heard at a distance of 50' or more, you can be charged. And, 50' is less than the width of the average front yard.

Suck it up and pay the fine. If you try and make this argument in court, you will entertain a few people, but it will not result in a win - only amused officers and a smiling commissioner.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">