• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for Insubordination or e-mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sbjnmo

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Can a person be fired for insubordination for writing an e-mail in regards to Health Care Benefits?

I was unable to attend a Health Care Meeting and opted to write an e-mail to voice my concerns and problems. In that e-mail I gave my honest opinion and not once directed my displeasure towards either individual that I wrote the e-mail to.

Then in my last line I stated that the company should look into better health care to keep good employees.

BelizeBreeze

Of course you can. You can also be fired for spelling and punctuation or even grammar mistakes, NOT sending the e-mail, for wearing a hideous tie (or thong depending on sex) or for coming in 10 minutes early each and every day.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
sbnjmo, in an at-will state (which is every state except Montana, and even includes Montana in some circumstances) you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason that is not specifically prohibited by law. Essentially that means you cannot be fired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, or because you are over 40. It also means that you cannot be fired BECAUSE you utilized or applied for a right or benefit that is protected under the law.

While I accept that you did not mean it so, the statement you refer to COULD be considered insubordination. Nothing in the law prohibits an employer from finding it so, and nothing in the law prohibits the employer from firing you for insubordination.

While it's unfortunate, I'm afraid you're stuck. Do not hesitate to file for unemployment benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">