• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusing to pay for training--can you be fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Slickdaddy96

My wife works for a daycare center in Georgia. She was hired a little over half a year ago. She was recently told that she has to have 10 hours a year training in order to work there. She was also told that she had to pay for it. We can not afford these classes, and she was never told about this when she was first hired. Can she refuse to pay and/or go to these classes unless the company pays for the training? She has no problem taking off work to take the training, but she feels like the company should be paying for her to go to whatever training is neccessary since it is not her that really needs it. It is the daycare center that needs it in order to stay in compliance with state guidelines. If she refuses to go and the company refuses to pay do they have the right to fire her even though she was never told about this training before she was hired. The amount of money for the classes is not worth the amount of money she is getting paid by the hour.

Beth3

If the training is required, her employer has to pay for her TIME but they do not have to pay for the course or seminar itself. Yes, they can fire her if she refuses to go, even if they aren't willing to pay for the training.

S

Slickdaddy96

Do you know where in the Federal or State guidlines it says this?

Do you know where in the Federal or State guidelines or laws it says that a company has to pay for a person's training time? I do not believe her job was going to pay that either. I needed to know so she would have the evidence to prove it if she decided to approach them about it.

Beth3

At a federal level, it's the Fair Labor Standards Act. Your State will have it's own version of that law but I have absolutely no doubt that this will be compensible time.

Here's the web site for your State's DOL if you feel like searching about for the relevant wage and hour laws: http://www.dol.state.ga.us/

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A caveat; Beth is correct if your wife is a non-exempt employee. To the best of my knowledge, if she is exempt, they do not have to pay for EITHER her time OR the course itself, even if it is required.

Beth3

Of course you're right but unless slick's wife is managing the day care center, which clearly is not the case, she's non-exempt.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just being thorough. Having answered several questions recently from a poster who, close to the end of the thread, provides facts that drastically change the answer, I'm trying not to make assumptions.

S

Slickdaddy96

Thank you for your answers

She would be non-exempt. I actually work for the state of Georgia and am exempt which I hate because no overtime, but the salary more than makes up for it. Anyway thanks for all your help and information in this matter.

Troy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">