• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

matt123

What is the name of your state? VA

A friend owes me a considerable amount of money since late September, 2004. We agreed to meet today during lunch to discuss the matter. What ensued was a heated argument. The argument escalated into pushing (which the friend--debtor began). He also repeatedly aggressively pushed his finger into my chest, and finally slugged me into my chest after I brushed aside his finger. Since he is bigger than I am, I backed off his aggression and left the scene.

Is this assault? Should I file a police report?

You Are Guilty

matt123 said:
What is the name of your state? VA

A friend owes me a considerable amount of money since late September, 2004. We agreed to meet today during lunch to discuss the matter. What ensued was a heated argument. The argument escalated into pushing (which the friend--debtor began). He also repeatedly aggressively pushed his finger into my chest, and finally slugged me into my chest after I brushed aside his finger. Since he is bigger than I am, I backed off his aggression and left the scene.

Is this assault? Should I file a police report?
In the civilized states, that would constitute a criminal assault & battery. In your state, I believe it's called "courtin' ".

As far as whether to file, that's up to you. It may give you leverage to get your money back (i.e. "I'll drop the charges if you pay me,") or it may result in one really pissed off friend who will never pay you back.

alishas

2nd pending assualt charge

You Are Guilty said:
In the civilized states, that would constitute a criminal assault & battery. In your state, I believe it's called "courtin' ".

As far as whether to file, that's up to you. It may give you leverage to get your money back (i.e. "I'll drop the charges if you pay me,") or it may result in one really pissed off friend who will never pay you back.
I live in minnesota my name is alisha.
I recently paid off a fine and fininshed probation for 5th dagree assault,
A few days ago I punched another girl, The cop took my statement today.
I was wondering if its worrth my time to seek an attorny as I'm concerned about future employment oppurtunities and backround checks.

You Are Guilty

alishas said:
I live in minnesota my name is alisha.
I recently paid off a fine and fininshed probation for 5th dagree assault,
A few days ago I punched another girl, The cop took my statement today.
I was wondering if its worrth my time to seek an attorny as I'm concerned about future employment oppurtunities and backround checks.
While I would love to respond to your question, you need to delete it from this post and create a new thread for it so that the responses don't get mixed up with this one.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions if you do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">