• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TOCR

What is the name of your state?Arkansas I am in a dilema. My daughter is going to give up her child with the consent of the father to a couple they know. I have asked her to consider me and my husband as another option to this. SHe has said no. She still believes it is in the best interest of the child to give it to strangers instead of family. She will not give me any details which scares me. If she has signed papers to provide for her medical expenses and such can she not just pay back what she has been given or could we not do it? I am not sure what is going on. I do not want to see this child raised by strangers. She lives in FLorida. I still think family is always in the best interest of the child. If that is what she is truely thinking of then why not let us raise the child? Please help if you can. Heart Broken Grandmother

BelizeBreeze

The ONLY hope you have in this matter is if this is an illegal adoption or she is actually giving away the child without the sanction of the court. If that IS the case, then call the police or child services in Florida.

If not, you have no legal right to interfer.

T

TOCR

She is not going thru an agency or the courts. She is giving the child to a couple her and the father know. Thank you for your help.

LdiJ

TOCR said:
She is not going thru an agency or the courts. She is giving the child to a couple her and the father know. Thank you for your help.
Don't automatically believe that it means that its not being done legally. Private adoptions are legal. In the end they do require a judge's signature, but if the adopting couple has an attorney involved then most likely its being done legally. So try to find out more information.

Phnx02

Dear Concerned Grandma:
I'm not sure there's much you can do. If your daughter has sought out a legal adoption, granting custody to another family, it is her and her boyfriends choice and unfortunately, I don't think you (grandparents) have any legal right to change this unless you can prove the new family is unfit. If so, I believe your daughter can still fight to have the child placed with a different family of her choice. I am so sorry to hear about your sorrow......I wish we had more caring grandparents like you in the world! There are so many grandparents whose children have children and then when their children abandon their kids, the grandparents follow suit.

I suspect your daughter doesn't want you to adopt her child simply becasue she will think it'll be too hard to keep the child in the family, and see it grow up, while she has no plans to be involved - not to mention all the questions and (abandoment) turmoil this may cause the child in years to come. Ask her if this is the case. If so, although this is heartbreaking, respect her feelings.....giving up a child has got to be very hard - and many times the mother needs to make "a clean break" - otherwise her heart will break over and over again each and every time she personally sees the child (in your care) and is probably afraid she'll go thru pains of unworthiness and abandonment all over again. Not to mention if she ends up disagreeing with how you raise and/or discipline the child and all the problems this may cause between the two of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">