• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawsuit gain and disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joal

What is the name of your state? Fl.
I have been on disability for years and I am in my 60's.
I am in the process of winning a lawsuit that may give me a small amount of money, perhaps enough to buy this home. The problem is, if I buy it, it needs so many repairs as it is an old house and now has severe hurricane damage.
If I lose my benefits I have no other income, and would also have to save small amounts to fix this house.
My questions are, is there a way I can get an amount of money to own a home and still collect disability?
Is it wise to buy, or is there another possibility? I am allowed 3, 000 dollars.
Joal

BL

joal said:
What is the name of your state? Fl.
I have been on disability for years and I am in my 60's.
I am in the process of winning a lawsuit that may give me a small amount of money, perhaps enough to buy this home. The problem is, if I buy it, it needs so many repairs as it is an old house and now has severe hurricane damage.
If I lose my benefits I have no other income, and would also have to save small amounts to fix this house.
My questions are, is there a way I can get an amount of money to own a home and still collect disability?
Is it wise to buy, or is there another possibility? I am allowed 3, 000 dollars.
Joal
What small amount are we talking about from a lawsuit ? $3,000.00 ?

If so , you can request , I believe it's a waiver , so that amount is not held against your benefits. If they grant the waiver, a windfall !!!

You can own a home and collect benefits, however if the house is in that bad of shape , you'd be better off renting. That way you don't have to worry about repairs.

joal

response, amount possible

Mentioning the three thousand was misleading, I meant that I was told at SSI that I could have as much as 3,000 in my account. I may get as much as 40,000 at the most. I hope to buy this house at 37 thousand, or if amount is less, from the settlement, my landlord may finance the rest. The going rate around me is about an average of 120,000, but he may sell cheap due to the condition, he sold his other house to get rid of them as he doesn't want to do repairs.
At any rate, I need to use the money towards a asset that disibility may honor.
Living off this amount for the rest of my life is impossible, and I would so like to have the security of a home. I am 62.
Thank you much
joal

BL

I was mentioning $3,000.00 because I know a person that was allowed to keep that amount with no penalties.

I know the SSA site state's you can own a home, but I don't know if using a settlement to buy one would qualify.

Others may know, or consult a Social Security attorney , or heck just give the SSA folks a call and ask them. If you win a settlement they will know anyways ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">