• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer advice on speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jon_al

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I recieved a speeding ticket this afternoon for going 63mph in a 40mph zone. The police officer after handing me my ticket talked to me about how my insurance will go up with this ticket, but then proceeded to give me some odd advice. He told me to request an appeal, and go to court and "tell them whatever I want". He told me he "could not tell me what to do" but to "read between the lines." He made it obvious he was suggesting I get it dropped somehow, and that he was pretty sure I could. This is my first run-in with a police officer for any reason. I'm not sure if I am missing something obvious, because from what I have read I don't see any way I can have it dropped, especially with a ticket being evidence enough in court - so the officer does not need to show up. Any advice or further interpretation of how I should handle this? Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

Jon_al said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I recieved a speeding ticket this afternoon for going 63mph in a 40mph zone. The police officer after handing me my ticket talked to me about how my insurance will go up with this ticket, but then proceeded to give me some odd advice. He told me to request an appeal, and go to court and "tell them whatever I want". He told me he "could not tell me what to do" but to "read between the lines." He made it obvious he was suggesting I get it dropped somehow, and that he was pretty sure I could. This is my first run-in with a police officer for any reason. I'm not sure if I am missing something obvious, because from what I have read I don't see any way I can have it dropped, especially with a ticket being evidence enough in court - so the officer does not need to show up. Any advice or further interpretation of how I should handle this? Thanks in advance.

**A: no, your interpretation appears correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">