• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two Weeks Notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chrismiss7

I live in California and have a question regarding a two weeks notice that I recently gave my employer. Although I gave my employer a certain date, he tried to let me go a week prior. Is this legal? I have done nothing worthy of termination. Please respond.

Beth3

Yes, it's legal. An employer has no obligation to let you work out your notice period. FYI - if they accept your resignation immediately, they don't have to pay you for the two weeks either.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. Nothing whatsoever in the law requires him to allow you to work out your notice, and he is not obligated to pay you for the notice time if you do not work it, regardless of whether he asked you to leave early or not.

Depending on your state law, you MIGHT be eligible for unemployment for the remainder of your notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">