• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Conehead

What is the name of your state?
Virginia

OK, here goes. I just completed a upgrade on my classic car's braking system.
Went from old four wheel drum brakes to modern four wheel disc brakes.

I took it out Sunday after two days of converting the system. Evetytime I tried the brakes with moderate pressure the back wheels would lock up but not the front. Dragging the rear wheels.

I was doing this in the country, away from houses, etc.

I went back home and adjusted the rear brake prop. valve. (It is suppose to help) and went out to check them again.

I returned to the same area and tried a stop from 40 mph in a 55 zone. Well. the same thing happend, rears locked up and I released the pedal. I did not hold it and come to a stop. Now I am going back home to try and figure out the problem when I am pulled over.
Seems the cop was several hundred yard behind me and saw smoke off of my rear tires.

I explain to him that the brakes are new and not working properly. He says he had a complaint of someone squealing tires. That was properly me earlier, but I explained that I was not spinning tire but trying to get my brakes adjusted correctly.

He agreed that I was only going about 40 mph, but still wrote me for reckless driving, failure to maintain brake control. He said I should not be checking the brakes on the highway. (where elde would one check them, even brake shops have to drive the cares thay work on)

I have not yet figured out what is wrong with the car. Waiting on help from a mechanic friend.

The officier said if I brought documentation from a shop tha the brakes have been fixed, he would recommend to the judge to reduce the charge to improper equipment. (Why he didn't write it for that I don't know. I had to get the car towed, because he said I could not drive it improper brakes, which seems to support what I was telling him)

I plan to take the receits from where I bought my brakes and any work done to correct the problem. Also, I have a clean record for the last 14 years.

What do you think, and should I get a lawyer or go it alone.

Sorry for the long post,

Last edited:

Do you trust the officer? If so, then you might go it alone in court. However, you are playing with fire here.

This is a CRIMINAL CHARGE not a traffic offence. RECKLESS DRIVING is a Class 1 Misdemeanor offence in Virginia - that means a CRIMINAL RECORD upon conviction.

Get a lawyer to deal with the cop at the court for you to make sure the charge is reduced to a "traffic infraction" such as Improper Equipment.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">