• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ownership proof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katyusha

What is the name of your state?VA

Yesterday I was taking a walk on the filed in my neighborhood when a woman came up to me and said that this filed belongs to an association to which only people living on a certain street belong to. She said I was trespassing.

There are no signs on this filed that indicate the ownership and it is not fenced (it looks like a park, actually). When I asked my other neighbors they said that filed is a public land.

I couldn’t find any records about this piece of land in a public real estate database.

My question is: Is that woman required to provide a proof of ownership (or post a sign on that field ) before accusing me of trespassing?

PghREA

If that is true, it should be posted. I live in a plan that has "dedicated green space" and no one in my neighborhood objects to anyone else using it. Another neighborhood put a childs play area in their green space and everyone is welcome to bring their kids. (Of course, my neck of the woods is known for being friendly.)

BelizeBreeze

Go to your county recorder's office (or ask where the deeds are stored) or you can go to the county zoning comission to look at the plat maps. Then you'll know who owns the land.

And it's FIELD!!! It doesn't have to be posted for you to be told to stay off. If it is indeed owned by the association then you've been 'noticed' to stay off. If not, tell the old bat to bite rocks.

BelizeBreeze

veronicalouise said:
That was not nice of me, sorry, sometimes I can't resist. Not everyone does well in ALL areas, including myself. Spelling and Grammar just happen to catch my eye. Forgive me.
You mean like capitalizing the word Grammar when it's superfluous? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">