• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA:Fighting Moving Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

glych

in California I was pulled over by an officer in front of my local college for not coming to a full stop at a stop sign. I supplied by Driver License, my proof of insurance, my car registration and contested that I had indeed stopped. The officer said it was up to a judge to decide and wrote my a citation.

There was (I believe) incorrect information on the citation in that 1) I drive a '98 White Toyota Corrolla and he specified that the vehicle was an '02 White Toyota Corrolla, and 2) that the city location of the court was abreviated from Temecula to simply "Tem" and the court phone # was illegible.

A few days later I recieved the notice of ciation from the state specifying that I owed in bail exactly $0.00 dollars. I realize this was probably a clerical error on the part of the court, so I called and asked what my bail for the moving violation was and the clerk i spoke to said that that ammount was cinsistent with his records and to do nothing.

So I did nothing. How do you write a check for $0.00?

Today I recieved a second notice of ciation from the supreme court ordering me to pay over $2000 in the ammount of the original citation and fees.

Does anyone have any advice how to handle this case? Is there any laws I can cite stating that either A) incorrect information on the original ticket may leave it null and void or B) that the original ammount of $0.00 was still in force?

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

-glych

D

Devo_213

I would definitely call a lawyer. Seems like you're screwed on the info. on ticket, (unless CA. Law says else), but the fact that you spoke to someone and they said the price was right and then you get a bill for something way different is just not right. I just hope you got the name of the person you spoke to on the phone. ALWAYS get the name of people you talk to on the phone when handling anything concerned with money.

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)Today I recieved a second notice of ciation from the supreme court ordering me to pay over $2000 in the ammount of the original citation and fees.(QUOTE)

There is absolutely no way this is true.

CdwJava

Failing to stop at a stop sign is NOT going to come anywhere NEAR $2,000. After fees, this is likely to come to MAYBE $200 and a point on your license.

Go to the court date listed on the citation. If it happened in Temecula, its Riverside County Courts. So, go to the court on your court date and bring a copy of the original notice and the new notice.

And, of course, here's the $2,000 question ... how long ago was this citation? And did you miss the original court date?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">