• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's tree is it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

Quincyo2170

I'm in MA.
My back neighbor decided to cut down an ages old cedar tree which was on 'his' side of the fence-right up against it. this was the only thing giving us privacy from the rest of the neighborhood. at least 2/3 of the tree foliage was on my side, over my shade garden, which now will be ruined. Numerous birds made it their home. Do I have any rights before and after the tree is cut down? Also, I have some trees on my side which extend into his airspace. Does he have any right cutting limbs off? Seems to me that any cutting could expose the tree to disease, etc.....
Concerned
Steve in Quincy

BelizeBreeze

If the tree was on his property then he has the right to do whatever he wants with it. You have no rights.
Of course, that doesn't mean you can't go out and pay $250 for a 50 ft cedar and plant it on your side of the fence. :D

Q

Quincyo2170

BelizeBreeze said:
If the tree was on his property then he has the right to do whatever he wants with it. You have no rights.
Of course, that doesn't mean you can't go out and pay $250 for a 50 ft cedar and plant it on your side of the fence. :D
Where can I find one of those???? :D
Also, that means he has no right to touch my trees?

Q

Quincyo2170

who's tree is it?

Thank you for your prompt advice.
Now I know where I stand.
Steve

PghREA

Quincyo2170 said:
Where can I find one of those???? :D
Also, that means he has no right to touch my trees?

You can find all types of trees at your local nursery in varring heights. They will even plant it for you. And yes he can trim your trees right up to the property line.

Q

Quincyo2170

Tree/Fence question

PghREA said:
And yes he can trim your trees right up to the property line.
I guess the question I need to answer is where is the property line? Does having a fence theredraw the line? (Neither of us knows who's fence it is) Or should I have it surveyed?

BelizeBreeze

Quincyo2170 said:
I guess the question I need to answer is where is the property line? Does having a fence theredraw the line? (Neither of us knows who's fence it is) Or should I have it surveyed?
a new survey.

nextwife

Erecting something does NOT establish a lot line. People often simply build with no knowledge of where the actual line sits. As stated, only a survey can show you where your lot lines run.

I am doubtful a mature tree can be bought for a mere $250, but one can purchase mature trees and have them planted. I know of several places here that offer that. One is called "Trees on the Move" and they use huge digging machines and deliver fully grown trees. I am including their web page simply to offer you an idea of what is available. http://www.treesonthemove.com/ Look in the yellow pages.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">