• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsJai

New York

I recently got into a car accident in New York. I accidently hit a boy who was J-walking during a rainny day (he's okay now). I immediately call the cops and when they came, they told me my New York license was suspended because I didn't respond/pay traffic tickets. I was driving with a Pennsylvania license and I didn't know my New York license was suspended. The officers arrested me and told me I'm not allow to drive in New York. I spent that night in the court jail. The following morning, I saw a judge and was released. The judge gave me another court date. So far I've paid off all the tickets that I've owe. And last week I received a letter from the DMV saying that my license will be suspended by December 15 and my court date is December 6. I don't know what to expect on December 6, and I'm scared I might have to spend sometime in jail. I'm so afraid and I don't know what to do. Please help me!!!

M

MsJai

Yea, just for driving with a suspended license. The judge let me go without even posting bail. I was just issued a paper that says I have to come back to court on Dec. 6 and that's it.

CdwJava

MsJai said:
Yea, just for driving with a suspended license. The judge let me go without even posting bail. I was just issued a paper that says I have to come back to court on Dec. 6 and that's it.
Dec. 6th is likely the arraignment date where you will plead guilty or not guilty. If this is something you can face jail time for, you can likely have counsel (a public defender) assigned at that time. I honestly do not know if you can face jail time for driving on a suspended license in NY, but it is my understanding that virtually every offense in NY has a potential of up to three days in jail.

Whatever you do, do NOT miss the court date! And if you look in the phone book or on the internet you can probably find some relatively low cost traffic court lawyers that will represent you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">